Turkey calling and videos

Foggy Mountain

Guys I’m hesitant to post this but something always strikes me. The call videos I see posted very often. The cadence is commonly off, the calls squeak like crazy, there often is no rollover achieved. And must I say the positive comments that follow encouraging others to follow suit are sure to confuse someone. As a newer caller don’t listen to any of it. 
Practice listening to real turkey. Dr Lovett Williams has cds to help.
Purrs are best achieved riding your hand up higher on a striker so it flutters easily btw. It should be easy and quite or else it sounds like a fight sound. Hope that made sense. 
To get a second note on a pot you often need to run between two holes, sometimes across one. That’ll help with the break. Listen and practice cadence. Don’t pick up striker for yelps. 
Box calls need you to run to the concave section of handle. Almost to closed point to get the break. Start out and drag lid in. You can slowly do it initially til you see where it “yawks”. I’m referring of course to the yelps again. . While I’m on this don’t pick up lid in either direction while trying to yelp. Many state every turkey sounds different. This is true but they don’t get out of cadence or squeak like crazy too often. 
David Halloran has some good, basic box call videos and he’s from NY. 
There’s a lot more to basic calling but those few stand out as the most improperly presented issues. This is knocking no one. It’s to help someone. Another quick point I’ll add. Perfect calling in the wrong spot is worse than minimal less than perfect calling in the right spot. Doesn’t  excuse you from helping yourself learning a call. Just like any animal, be where they are going and make sounds they’re expecting. It could be scratching the leaves making feeding sounds. Anyone could pull that off but there is a way to do it most effectively. There’s no magic in calling. It’s being in the right location first, possibly the last thing some think of, learning calls, and knowing when/how to use em. Cadence is key. 

• Like 1

Calling a turkey is trying to trick a bird with a brain the size of a pea.

I agree that cadence is the most important part of calling, the worst sounding calling I’ve ever heard in the turkey woods were from hens. But the cadence is never off.

I’ve all but gave up on calling turkeys beside locator calls. I much prefer sneaking in on them, especially with a bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1