small game squirrel hunting

apoallo

I have always stuck with big game hunting, but am considering expanding my horizons and trying small game specifically squirrels. I want to use my air rifle it shoots standard .177 pellets. Is that a good size to use or is the .22 better off

I always enjoy a good squirrel hunt. It's a lot more casual that big game hunting. Big game hunting requires some work. Gotta wash your clothes, use the scent blocker, etc. With squirrel hunting, you just pick up your rifle and go on a nice casual hike. Sometimes, I forget I'm actually hunting at all.

I was out yesterday 2/25 got a few of them for the pot noting like taking a walk in the woods with your dog getting a few sqirreals I don't have an air gun so i go with a 410 shot gun had a good time and i am looking to go again on tusday

papabear

Hey papa,

Where a outs in LI are there squirrels to shoot? I use an airgun, so the shots are relatively cleaner than that taken from a shotgun. Let me know if you ever want to show a new guy around your neck of the woods.

Shawn

Just came back from hunting in Orange county, got a few crows and squirrels. Also took out a few reds and chipmunks. Today is the first time I encountered a squirrel that didn't die from a headshot. After the recovery, we noticed the squirrel started breathing again and started to move. Had to finish it off close range. I'll have to inspect where the shot went wrong later.

While I have a very powerful .177, I use it to stay sharp in my backyard shooting range rather than hunting. For small game I take the 12 guage shotgun or .22 Mag after deer season.

There are way too many coyote where I hunt to only have a single shot BB rifle and I would rather have the opportunity to take those too.

I very curious to see the carnage your 22 mag does on a squirrel. I bought a 17HMR but haven't had the opputunity to take a squirrel with it. Internet photos shows squirrel almost completely sawed in half with the 22 mag/17 hmr if you don't get a head shot but I still want to get a home first hand experience from it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...