Venison hind quarter on the grill

patm

I've smoked brisket and pork shoulder on the grill and have often wondered about putting a hind quarter on the grill.  I harvested a doe for one of the guys that helped build my garage and kept one leg to put my idea to the test.  I brined the hind quarter for 24 hours in a water, vinegar and salt mixture and the put a spice rub on it before I put it on the grill early in the morning.  I know it's not the traditional way to do it but it seems to work.  I put the leg in a large aluminum pan on one end of the girll and lit one of the four burners on the opposite end.  I kept the temps around 250.  I did put a pie pan of pecan wood chips over the lit burner and they smoked up nice.  8 hours later I was really starting to wonder how my leg would be.  Well it turned out great.  Moist inside with a nice crust on the outside.  it had that ring like smoked beef.  The meat was tender and tasty.  The wife who normally shys away from most venison ended up having seconds.  

I don't know that I'd do this with a monster leg but if you have a 100-125lb deer you might want to give it a try.

• Like 8

Sounds great! We used to do this same thing every year at camp when all the boys got together over the summer. I made sure to volunteer to watch the grill - couldn't leave my chair for those 8 hours or the temps might change on the grill. Sure was thirsty work, a full cooler right next to me was mandatory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2