Raising Birds

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Call the DEC's Special License Division...

This is what I was told:

I was told I need a permit to possess bobwhites.The permit costs $200 and is good for 5 years. If you shoot them in training, you need a shooting preserve license or a field trial permit. I asked about recall pens, re netting, capture or harrasment by dogs and I was told you can "take" them any other way other than shooting without the preserve or trial licenses, but you DO need the game bird possesion license. It was suggested that I voluntarily band my birds as well, I think this is especially a good idea when training where wild bobwhites exist, like downstate & Long Island.

This is for private land you own or have permission to release birds and train on. I don't know this for a fact, but I do not see why an individual or a few persons could not apply for a field trial permit and use DEC land. Otherwise, as far as I know, you cant do this on public land - even "state land".

My understanding is you cannot release wild pigeons or other wildlife such as a nuisance raccoon you trapped in your shed, unless you do it on property which you own. You can catch rock pigeons by hand or net but you cannot trap them, even though they are an unprotected and undesirable species.

I do not know how these laws relate to captive gamebirds that are not native to NY, like tibetan quail. Ditto for domestic pigeons and gunea fowl - these might be under ag-markets law instead of en-con law.

Edited by mike rossi

I am not 100 percent sure of the non native game bird release, this was somthing I was told. I dont release on state land and I dont really train much on state land anymore. The state dog training area is loaded with ticks. It seems to me they could use some birds to eat the ticks. I knew about the bobwhite permit because once I bought some and the seller gave me a reciept that was from the state. I am sure the state has a permit and fee for everything. Did you know you need a permit to train your dog on state land and you must carry it on you and have one displayed in your car where you park. Thats why I just dont bother with state land anymore. Also if you look at the DEC website it will tell you Long Island has an abundant bobwhite quail population But I dont know anyone who has seen any. I think they should spend less time making up permits and do a little habitat work.

Sorry for the rant

mm

OK, Long Island, too far for me. I am aware there are some field trials on LI as well. Three Rivers WMA or multi-use area, more accuratly, in Balwinsville, next to syracuse, holds some trials and has some equestrian facilities. Probably got a dog training area there too.

NY's dog training regs especially those regarding training birds are unclear and make training much too difficult. Since we are thee biggest minority this will be very difficult to change. If that isnt a big enough hurdle, you got the Agriculture - Markets Law that also wants a piece of us ... And everybody wonders why small game hunters are becoming extinct...

Habitat? Ask the grandpas on the NY Conservation Fund Advisory Board and the NY Fish and Wildlife Management Board. They are who has stewardship of our money, and supposedly "spend our money wisely".

Got two bird dogs to staunch & steady, a retriever to steady, and another retriever to lenthen marks, hand signal, and steady. They are gwp, es, cbr, and lr. Busy fall...

Got two bird dogs to staunch & steady, a retriever to steady, and another retriever to lenthen marks, hand signal, and steady. They are gwp, es, cbr, and lr. Busy fall...

Hey now, I have a gwp and a wpg. The Griff is steady and I am working with a trainer to take him to the next level and plan on testing him AKC Senior test and Navhda UT next year.

Kind of hard to train with out being a member of a club in NY, unless you get the afore mentioned permits.

Where did you get your GWP if I might ask?

Wow its rare to find one at the pound, most breeders encourage people to return them if they are a problem. Of course it could have been an escape.

There are at least two breeders in that part of the state, one is the guy I got mine from (Bruce Ross) and the other is a guy who also has a quality breeding program with a kennel name of Dark Star. Wirehairs are not for every one but we love ours as much as our Griff. I would love to see a pic of your wirehair.