Hunting leases...

RHM_ny

I'm trying to get info on hunting leases. Are they full year land leases or can they be for one week periods like shore homes? How much do they typically go for? Are they managed by the owner or by a realtor/broker?

Now for why I'm asking: My grandparents farm in upstate NY was left to my parents and they're considering selling it. I grew up going there and would like to keep it in the family and think we could cover taxes and insurance through a hunting lease. There are 34 acres at the top of a ridge with a pond and 3 bedroom cabin (no electric) with a barn and shed.

If you own the land you can offer whatever terms you choose. There are many who will pay for private land privileges without the high cost of a year round lease. If the cabin is liveable you can offer it on a week by week basis. This way you can get Turkey hunters in May and bowhunters in Oct.etc. If you can plant a food plot and show pics of deer you can charge a nice rental. Most lodges get almost a thosand for three days per hunter so you could probably get a thosand or more per week. I don't know what the leagal issues are but some charge a game fee if successful like $150 for a buck or $100 for a doe. If legal and your charging a group a low fee like a thousand a buck fee of $200 or $250 might be possible. I would limit the rentals to two or three people because the property isn't big enough to hunt more safely. Or you could make it bow only even during gun season. Check out VRBO for non hunting rentals. Many people would love a "rustic" vacation. $500 a week would be cheap on this web site and maybe help keep it in the family. I don't know which option is best but I hear if you use it for agriculture there are tax advantages too. Good luck.

What I am used to my area of upstate New York hunting land is leased for a set fee per year or per period. So, it could be 1,2, 5. 10 year lease for a fixed yearly sum. Here, usually a group of people would lease the land, and the property owner would set a maximum number of "members" on the lease. So, if it was 10 people, then the yearly lease cost would be divided by 10. Before proceeding with a lease, I would check into -

1. Liability Insurance - either by the owner and/or the lessee

2. Purpose for the lease - hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, parties etc.

3. What are the neighbors like? Would they enjoy having a leased property next to them?

4. What are the Town or County rules concerning the property?

5. Are there any deed restrictions on the property?

6. How long and for what is the lease for? Hunting season only? September through December?

Anyway, I highly recommend checking all the above - good luck. :bye:

What part of upstate New York is the property in?

... 34 acres at the top of a ridge with a pond and 3 bedroom cabin (no electric) with a barn and shed.

Where it is will be a factor."Upstate" to many around NYC/LI means all the rest of the state, to me it means the area just above NYC. How good is the hunting and so on.

You say its a farm, I own farm land and rent it out to well, a farmer. It covers the taxes and makes us a grand or so. 116 acres. No matter how big it is if its taxed at an ag rate and its good ground the rent should cover the taxes.

If its great deer hunting ,hunters may very well pay more then farmer brown. But you'd be well advised to see a lawyer as once you charge to hunt,your liabilies have shot way up.

Good luck.

Edited by Larry302

It's in Schoharie County (SW of Albany). The land isn't a workable farm, so to say, but about 10 of those acres are open. The neighbor to the south owns all fields and is a full timer. The neighbor to the north is us (we also have 34 acres). The neighbor to the west is state land and to the east is private, but not really easily accessible due to the ridge. We've always taken deer off the property. I didn't get one up there this year as I didn't get a doe permit, but I saw a few doe each day I sat (midday surprisingly).

Really good advice from Hunter and Larry302. At the end of the day what will be most important is what do YOU want to get out of this property. Long term income? Use of the land for yourself? Zero net/net income/expense at the end of each year? Other uses besides hunting to be considered could be leasing to a organization for their annual or part time uses, such as the USA Boy Scouts or similar. Any road that is followed should include a good real estate attorney. Best of luck to you.