Critical Water Levels

noodle one

I fished the West Branch Delaware river yesterday and I have never seen it as low as it is.. Places were you could not wade across in years pass are now a cake walk with the water only up to your knees. The Cannonville reservoir is down and if we don't get a lot of rain soon the river will be in trouble. I can for see a fish kill this summer. PA. a state that is big for trout stocking has cancelled many stocking in small streams and rivers because of low water levels.It looks like it is pay back time for the mild winter and no snow.It is not only the rivers and stream being low ,but some people will lose the water in there wells if we don,t get the much needed rain.

Lots of other fire issue as well. I sure wish we would get a few days of rain to get the water level back up. Being on a well is always a issue. I am sure we will also has a fish kill off if the water is way down. That is my best place to fish. I started fishing there in 1964 with my Dad and still keep going back. I just love to hit the water with my fly rod. I am not a good fisherman, but love the sport. I never keep the fish and return them to the stream. At 70 now, still love to be on the river. ALso loved the beaverkill.

The river in Schoharie county that overflowed last year and destroyed much of the town was also at an all time low. The river had to be had to be a good 15 feet below the water line where I make the turn in Middleburg to head North on rt. 145

I agree and hope we have some decent rainfall this spring. I know no one wants to hear this but we really do need it. I have been out to a few fishing spots and notice a difference in levels. the water is not hardly moving and the the pools are not as common as they used to be.

Agreed we need rain. I am hearing from a local that the fires are starting on LI again... Wont be long till it starts upstate if the rain does not come. I usually like to go up to saranac but I hate it when the levels are low, and so does my prop...

water is far from low around saranac, not as high as ice out pasts, but plenty of water, I hope it drops and drops, the best years fishing have always been the years we have to get out and walk the canoes along in the rivers, its once in a lifetime fishing and the grouse have fantastic success rates nesting as do the bunnies, an all summer long ban on fires means a september for the record books, but I'm sure we will get rain at some point....its once in a lifetime for a reason. lol.

im in southern vermont right now and they too are not stocking the creeks, they are too low and many roads and access is still washed out from irene in august 2011.