WWII 1911A1

Chef

CMP got hit with COVID labor shortages like everyone else.  They still have crates of rifles to inspect, and they are no longer make public when they acquire more.  It just becomes a PITA with inquires.    There can be WWII in those crates but most likely Korean era.  You have to be ready to act with requirements when anything makes it to market at CMP. 

Or even willing to travel to store in Ohio.   It's at Anniston National Guard Base.  CMP host a forum.  Excellent information can be found in CMP forum about what is available and what's coming.  Anniston is also where the annual national shooting match is hosted.  I've been.  Very cool.

CMP Forums (thecmp.org)

When you buy a Garand from CMP it's not supposed to be so you can resell at a profit.  Frankly I have a great distaste for those that do.  At gun shows you can always find several that are doing just that and often lie about condition.  One quick test if you have the gauge is to measure Throat Erosion and Muzzle Erosion.  It takes about ten seconds to do and does zero harm to gun.  An honest dealer will let you do it along with using bore scope.  

CMP got hit with COVID labor shortages like everyone else.  They still have crates of rifles to inspect, and they are no longer make public when they acquire more.  It just becomes a PITA with inquires.    There can be WWII in those crates but most likely Korean era.  You have to be ready to act with requirements when anything makes it to market at CMP. 
Or even willing to travel to store in Ohio.   It's at Anniston National Guard Base.  CMP host a forum.  Excellent information can be found in CMP forum about what is available and what's coming.  Anniston is also where the annual national shooting match is hosted.  I've been.  Very cool.
CMP Forums (thecmp.org)
When you buy a Garand from CMP it's not supposed to be so you can resell at a profit.  Frankly I have a great distaste for those that do.  At gun shows you can always find several that are doing just that and often lie about condition.  One quick test if you have the gauge is to measure Throat Erosion and Muzzle Erosion.  It takes about ten seconds to do and does zero harm to gun.  An honest dealer will let you do it along with using bore scope.  

All of what you have said here is true. I am heartbroken I missed the boat on CMP carbines.

I will 100% make a trip to port Clinton this summer if the store is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Chef

Of all my US military firearms, the toys of the collection are the M1 Carbines.  I own a few because that's what dad had when he was in WWII artillery.  (First engagement, Battle of the Bulge)  

I also have a US Postal Meter because I know all the history of how it was built in my city.  But the Carbine really is the Ruger 10/22 of the bunch.  Fun to shoot though but not real accurate.

Biggest WWII piece of crap I ever bought.  Italian Carcano.  This thing has an equal chance of going off in reverse as it does forward.  Even the ammo is a joke.  They look like Coke bottles.  How does a country that makes some of the finest firearms in the world produce this?

No way Lee Harvey Oswald would have chosen this.  He was trained with a 1903 Springfield in Marines

Chef
Of all my US military firearms, the toys of the collection are the M1 Carbines.  I own a few because that's what dad had when he was in WWII artillery.  (First engagement, Battle of the Bulge)  
I also have a US Postal Meter because I know all the history of how it was built in my city.  But the Carbine really is the Ruger 10/22 of the bunch.  Fun to shoot though but not real accurate.
Biggest WWII piece of crap I ever bought.  Italian Carcano.  This thing has an equal chance of going off in reverse as it does forward.  Even the ammo is a joke.  They look like Coke bottles.  How does a country that makes some of the finest firearms in the world produce this?
No way Lee Harvey Oswald would have chosen this.  He was trained with a 1903 Springfield in Marines

Oh I agree and don’t get me wrong I have a carbine… quality hardware. It’s just not from the CMP. It’s a ton of fun to shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had long wanted a 1911, and decided to do something about it a few years ago. I would have loved an actual GI issue, but didnt want to go through the hoops to get one. I absolutely wanted the real mccoy though, which meant a Colt manufactured 1911, which I did get...Competition model. I have had many handguns and semi autos, and I have to say the 1911 trigger/action is the finest out there (but my CZ 75 was pretty dang close!). 

In note of your Nambu...there is a book written by a WW2 vet who was a sniper...sorry I forget his name or the title....and a good portion of the book he relates his real world experience with the axis powers weapons, especially the Japanese. 

As much as a lot of writers turn up their noses at the Japanese firearms, he actually thought quite a few of them to be quite worthwhile.