found a hatched egg shell

Big Indian

Was out this weekend and saw some great things, however still have not filled my tag. Saw a boss gobbler at 7:30 pm Friday night w/ 3 hens who would not for obvious reasons answer me on Sat morning.

Also jumped a few hens who were already sitting on eggs.

My most unique find was a hatched turkey shell, I was pretty psyched to find this due to the size and fragility of it. I know a lot of folks on here shed hunt, but has anyone ever come across a hatched shell ? Just wondering.post-1499-0-11016700-1337642988_thumb.jp

The only reason that I asked was because, predators will take the unhatched eggs and clean out the insides. That egg does look like it hatched because the inner membrane looks rolled up inside I believe the hatched poult will feed on the egg shell, until it is strong enough to leave with the mother.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

This post reminded me of a little experiment that I tried a few years ago. I wanted to see what nest raiders in my area would take advantage of a nest first. I made a mock nest with a few chicken eggs and hung a cam to watch it. After a week or so, I checked the cam. A crow broke the eggs, but I later got an interesting video of a hen turkey that came in and ate every last nugget of the shells! I didn't expect to see that!

th_IM000645.jpg