12 gauge sst sabots

Just got done getting new scope on mossberg 500 rifled barrel for the upcoming season. I had scope on it last year just a 4x upgraded to a 2x7 this year. I'm running the Hornady sst 300 grain 12 gauge slugs. Shooting nice 5 shot groups about 3 in high at 100. Puts my 0 at 150 pretty impressed for a slug. Don't have a 150 yard range so hopefully get to one within a few weeks to double check zero. But feel completely comfortable 0-150. Just figured I'd post my luck with them for shotgun guys like myself.

The lightfields are a great round mine just don't like them much....that originally what I tried few years back took deer with them but couldn't get the groupings out at 100 like I can with the sst...i agree the sst do not expand as well as others out there but make up for it in accuracy outta my set up.

Have you tried Lightfield 3" slugs in your Mossberg 500?  The 3" chamber may need them to get the accuracy they can deliver.

BTW does your barrel have a cantilever scope mount or did you mount the scope on the receiver?

Edited by Mr VJP

I find my Mossberg 835 gets better accuracy with the 3" Lightfields in the extra rifled barrel I got for it.  It's a 3" chamber and the 2 3/4" slugs don't shoot as accurately.  The original barrel is 3 1/2" and is back bored so slugs cannot be used in it.

I found the accuracy improved with 3" slugs when I tried them in My Savage rifled bolt action 12 gauge.

• Like 1