8HP Mercury Question

Lawdwaz

Hey Guys & Gals.....I'm looking at a 14ft Smokercaft boat that has a 8hp Mercury. I plan on using the rig on Canadice & Hemlock Lakes and 10hp is the max. Am I going to see a big difference between an 8hp and a 10hp?

I've never been thought of as a little guy so if we have me (240lbs.) and a guest at 50% of me, how is the 8hp going to do?

Enough juice to haul my butt around or should I look for a 10hp? Thanks......

8 should be plenty. I have a 14ft starcraft. with a 4hp on it.(lake requirements) and it moves me around with ease. I am 6'1 220lbs and my fishing buddy is slightly lighter than about 200 i believe. thats also with both of our equipment in the boat

I had a 14M deep V with console and controls. gear and depth finder. 2 batteries and a 9.9 for those two lakes. The 8 will be fine. Especially if the price is right. Even the 10 with 2 guys and gear won't get you up on plane. it is a plowing ride across the lake.

plus...and a big plus....the 8 will me better on gas and if you plan on trolling to the great trout in those lakes the 8 will do much better.

Thanks guys.

Plans may change here. I have an 9.9hp Mercury I can use/have that is my father in laws, only problem is it is from the mid 60's (yup, almost 50 years old) and hasn't seen the light of day for at least 20 years. I called a outboard repair shop today and he said probably $300 to get it up to speed them you never know what could happen...........

THEN.........a good friend said I could use his 14ft Sea Nymph, forever. What that means is he won't sell it but someday (it'll never happen) he might want it back. That would only happen if he used up his 1987 Lund & 9.9 Mercury that has also only seen daylight 5 or 6 times since he bought them new.

Now I need a good motor & trailer. What you guys have?!?!

What ever you do don't be cheap and by a fixer upper outboard. Been there, done that. Its an absolute nightmare. Always test the motor first and take it for a run on the water first before buying if possible. Nothings more frustrating then being out in the lake with a motor that wont start. On my 14 ft prince-craft I had a 6 hp and it would go maybe 10 mph with 2 people. With a 15 hp it went 19 with 2 people. So expect to get in that range. But on my "newer" boat, a 14 ft, (not sure of manufacture) that is much heavier. I can run 26 mph with 2 guys and a fully loaded boat with a newer 25 hp Yamaha. Also remember that earlier outboards( before 1983 I think) horsepower was rated at the power head. More recent engines are rated at the prop. So the 1960 9.9 you have wont have the real-world power you could expect from a later year of the same hp.

I've been looking at Rochester, Buffalo and other Craigslist ads and don't see much at all for decent motors or trailers. Like I said above, a friend said I could use his 14ft Sea Nymph.

The deal I had spotted with the 8hp Merc, boat & trailer looks better............(it'll probably be gone anyway!)