new hunting truck

NYHUNTER92

Well I think you can't go wrong plunking down your $50,000 + on either one of those choices. Power Wagon in the Cummins would be my choice but you can probably get in the Raptor for a bit cheaper. Just guessing from when i was looking around. The Raptor is a bad ass looking truck with it's wider wheel base and body effects but It still looks kinda puuny next to the big Dodge and think the Power Wagon maybe has more real toughness. I thought the Raptor only came in 1/2 ton? I also found my Dodge has a bit more practical storage space then my dads Ford. Just one Hemi mans opinion. LOL

Edited by dave6x6

$50k on a gas powered truck? Unless youre talking one of the old SRT10 Rams, no way. Cummins all day long.

Been to the Dodge Store lately. 2012 ST Power Wagon ST Laramie msrp well over 50k Even the SLT is upper 40's. Nor saying that's what you'd pay but they all sticker pretty dang close to 50 or over.

Yeah Ive looked at them. The price is outrageous, but I surely wouldnt put down the cash a Raptor brings before i would lay down the cash for a diesel.

On a side note, if I just needed a hunting truck, I wouldnt blow that kind of money anyway. A low mileage, used truck for $20k will haul deer just as well as a $50k high option rig. Heck, my old lady's $8k Durango does the trick for me lol.

I'm still trying to figure out what a "new truck for hunting" is .... lol. Are you talking about a truck devoted just to hunting? .....for what purposes?

I remember back in the late 80's when I bought a shiny new 4WD ford pick-up. The choice was driven by a need for a vehicle to carry canoes, and gear for a week's moose hunting trip deep in the badlands of Canada. Thinking back it was kind of an impulsive thing to do, but I was able to justify it .... lol.

Anyway, I know what kinds of thoughts did it for me, but I was just curious as to what kinds of hunting activities justify a new truck purchase for others.

well the only reason for these two choices is because of their stock height and off road capabilities. Normally by the end of November theirs at least a foot of snow on the ground which makes the end of deer season aswell as hunting predators and trapping difficult. The other reason is its handling both trucks handle pretty good considering what size trucks they are.

Heres the thing though, theres nothing that those trucks can do that you cant make a lower end model do with some aftermarket add ons. Guaranteed you could put together a much better rig for way less money. I hunt predators and such in the winter and have never gotten stuck in either the Durango or Cherokee. I have quite a few friends that have stock 4wd trucks that do just fine in deep snow.

If you feel you need a bit more clearance, a 3 inch lift and some slightly taller tires would give you plenty while still keeping the truck tame on the street. A good winch is an off roader's best friend as well.

You dont need a high end factory truck to get the job done. Just my 2 cents.

hmm my idea of a "new truck for hunting" would be a dependable model at least 10 years old from a southern state to avoid the rot issues. that i would then outfit with needed items such as winch a good set of varring terrain tires and maybe a selectable locker. all for well under 50k maybe thats just my blue collar wrench turning side but if i were to spend 50k plus for a new truck i don't think i would be taking it up the seasonal roads in janury and febuary grouse hunts like i do now.

• Like 2

Last year i convinced myself and my wife that i needed a new truck if i was going to be serious about this property management thing. After i brought it home and she saw what i paid, she convinced me that it was a good thing i bought a truck big enough to sleep in should i ever find myself locked out.

• Like 1