Buying long gun outside NYC with NYC address

This happened to me a couple of years ago at a big chain sporting goods store.

I went into the store, found a rifle I liked, waited over 45 minutes for the sales clerk to finish a deal with another customer, negotiated a price with said clerk, filled out NICS paperwork, ran NICS, cleared by FBI, handed credit card to said clerk, box with rifle inside is under my arm, clerk half-way rang up sale, then he says...

"Wait, you wrote on here that you live in Queens county?"

I say, "Yes, that's correct."

Clerk replies, "Do you have a NYC Rifle/Shotgun permit?"

I reply, "No."

From there it goes into a back and forth conversation that goes no where about NYS law and NYC law and store policies and me having purchased rifles there before and me even helping my cousin with a purchase (who lives around the corner from me in Queens) just the week before.

As I am leaving the store, totally heartbroken mind you, I see a manager and explain quickly what happened and ask if the clerk was correct, he tells me yes, I need to show a NYC Rifle/Shotgun Permit to purchase a long gun in upstate NY. Suddenly my cousin and uncle (who I didnt even know was in the store!) comes walking out where I am speaking to this manager, holding a box of .45 rounds he just bought to shoot with the Henry he just bought the week before in the same store! My cousin and uncle immediately get involved and ask questions and insist that rifles were purchased there many times before with out a hitch. Then the clerk that I dealt with is walking by and gets involved too.

The clerk that I dealt with turns out to actually be a manager also, and after my cousin explains his purchase the week before, the manager asks for the salesman's name because he would be fired immediately! My cousin was of course taken back and said "Even if I remembered his name I wouldn't tell you!"

Then we all walked out.

The end.

Anyway, what is the real law here, if any, concerning buying long guns outside of NYC with an NYC address?

Steve. There is no law against it buying a gun upstate and keeping it upstate as a NYC resident. There is also no law barring them from selling it to you. The issue is a store policy issue. I know Gander Mountain(Also i know Dicks on Long island has same one) now has a store policy in which they do not sell to NYC residents. Most local gun shops will not have an issue selling you a firearm.

• Like 1

Bloomberg has put a lot of heat on gun shop not just in upstate NY but even gun shops in other states. A lot of these shops don't want to deal with Bloomberg harrassing them and just figure it's not worth the trouble. While you don't have to register your firearm when purchased outside of the city, I believe you do go through a background check regardless and some where in Washington DC's FBI building they see your registered address and a red flag is raised.

NY City has some crazy gun laws. Back in the day me and a bunch of cop buddies ( all cops in upstate NY ) would go down to NYC for the Big East tournament. Everyone was requiered to check in at the nearest NYC Police station and register their guns or face being arrested if caught with them. Being young and full of pee and vinagar back then, no one ever checked in. Thinking back though someone could have really gotten jammed up. You never know down there.

Edited by ants

NY City has some crazy gun laws. Back in the day me and a bunch of cop buddies ( all cops in upstate NY ) would go down to NYC for the Big East tournament. Everyone was requiered to checheck in at the nearest NYC Police station and register their guns or face being arrested if caught with them. Being young and full of pee and vinagar back then, no one ever checked in. Thinking back though someone could have really gotten jammed up. You never know down there.

NY City has some crazy gun laws. Back in the day me and a bunch of cop buddies ( all cops in upstate NY ) would go down to NYC for the Big East tournament. Everyone was requiered to checheck in at the nearest NYC Police station and register their guns or face being arrested if caught with them. Being young and full of pee and vinagar back then, no one ever checked in. Thinking back though someone could have really gotten jammed up. You never know down there.

Cops don't have to check their guns in the city.

The NYPD dont make the laws, they just have to enforce them.

I'm not saying they make the laws, but they definitely have strong influence on them.

I don't know of any where else where the PD runs licencing for firearms.

• 4 weeks later...