Getting on and off Long Island sux big time

Deerthug

For those of you who dont live on Long Island, in case you dont know, traffic really sux big time. So Last Saturday we drove my daughter to Penn State for fencing camp. We made it from Oyster Bay to State College PA in a little over 4 hrs and back in 5 hrs due to torrential downpours. Of course it was a Saturday and traffic was not so bad. But yesterday that same four hour drive going to pick her up turned into 6+. We decided to leave around 10:30am to let rush hour die down. Well that plan didn't work. What normally takes 1/2 hour to get from my house in Oyster Bay to the G Washington bridge (15 miles) took TWO long hours in bumper to bumper traffic on the Clearview and then on the X-Bronx. Two hours to go 15 miles is downright ridiculous. So instead of getting there at 2:30 we got there at 4:30. We pick up our daughter and decide to avoid the rush hour by stopping and eating at a place in town called Bill Pickles tap room. First time i ever had fried pickles and peanut butter wings. (That was the best part of the trip). So we head back at 5:30 for another long drive. We get onto I-80 and for about 1 1/2 hrs i'm flying down the road. After stopping for a pee break and switching with my wife in 5 minutes we are at a complete standstill on I-80. Major accident left of two lanes closed. Arrggghhh! So we sit in a stand still moving at a pace slower than a slug for about an hour. Finally it clears and we are moving again without incident. What aggravated me more was that we reach the GW at about 9:50pm and we make it to our exit 29 on the Northern State at 10:10p. It took us only 20 minutes from the tolls at GW to my exit. Twelve miserable long hours on the road. Aside from the pickles and wings the 2nd best part of the day was opening up my Infiniti G37 on I-80 once the accident cleared. It felt GOOD especially after sitting in traffic.

Sorry for the ranting and thanks for listening....um..... I mean reading! LOL!

Oh yeah. Forgot this was a hunting forum. I saw lots of doe feeding along the side of the road and three dead big doe within a 1/4 mile stretch on I-80 in PA.

Edited by Deerthug

Yeah, I try to stick to the late night trips. Except during Hunting seasons on Friday I like to try to skip out of work at 3pm, hit traffic in the bronx and tap but usually only an extra 45 min. I avoid the GW always pretty much unless its 5am.

I live in Staten Island but my wifes 3 siblings live in long island and we fight all the time because I refuse to go to parties and gatherings because it is never any less than a 2-3 hour trip each way. It is absolutely miserable traveling to and fro long island.

I left last weekend at 2 am Saturday morning to go to camp. My brother left yesterday with his family at 12:30 in the afternoon. Between the cross bronx and all the construction on rt17 a 6 hr trip took him 9. It's crazy and won't get any better, hunting season will suck.

live in Queens but I know LI traffic all too well and havent gone out there in a while. pick the wrong time and you're done. then if you are going north, you face the deegan crossbronx nightmare. i seriously hope to move above the tapan zee someday. just going for a moto ride is a pain in the arse when you come back to the city and end up in traffic with your engine over 200 degrees... i just want to take the bike out, and be on country roads as i exit the driveway :) here is to dreaming!

The deegan/cross bronx to GW has been bad as far as I remember being in the back of the pontiac station wagon to go upstate. I do not think they will ever figure out how to fix that congestion and road work is ever going there.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

I live no where near the place, but at one point I was asked by a few different companies to take over service contracts. We opted for a trial period to see if we fitted well. After about 4 trips and a weeks worth of hours to get back and forth I would of been better off driving to Arizona and taking contracts on the west coast instead of in my own home state. I have no idea how any of you do this on a daily basis, I think the term road rage comes to mind as well. I will stay in my small country town where my nearest neighbor is half a mile away.

• Like 1