T/C Contenders/Encores

Justin5321

I was thinking about a T/C contender or encore for the upcoming season and have a question....

How would a barrel, lets say chambered in .270 win mag, compare to a standard hunting rifle in .270? How similar would the ballistics be at about 200-250 yards?

Being as my county still doesn't allow rifle hunting I was looking at these as an alternative.

At any normal range, say from the muzzle to 400 yards, The .270 WSM might have a little PAPER BALLISTIC advantage, but the PRACTICAL difference between the two involving ability to hit your target or performance on game, would be...NOTHING...

At any normal range, say from the muzzle to 400 yards, The .270 WSM might have a little PAPER BALLISTIC advantage, but the PRACTICAL difference between the two involving ability to hit your target or performance on game, would be...NOTHING...

Thank you for your response! But not sure if we are on the same page. I;m wanting to compare a .270 win mag coming out of a 15" contender barrel Vs. a .270 win mag come from a standard hunting rifle barrel. Not .270 win mag Vs. .270WSM if that's how i made it sound.

Other than the increased difficulty of shooting the "handrifle" accurately, I will alter my statement..At the ranges you quoted, 200-250 yards, there still would be little difference between the two as far as trajectory or bullet performance on game.. Once you get out around 300 yards hitting the target becomes more problematic with the pistol, not because of any lack of inherent accuracy, but simply because the pistol is harder to shoot accurately than a rifle.

I say this from experience with a number of different rifle calibers and also a Thompson Encore pistol in 7mm08 and a Rem XP100 pistol in .260 rem ...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Youll lose a little speed, and a touch of range, thats it. It will be just fine out to 250+ yards. I had an Encore pistolin 260 Rem, as does one of the guys I hunt with. I shot a doe at 200 yards with a 140 grain Remington Core-Lokt and it went 10-20 yards before dropping dead. I saw my buddy shoot a doe with his at 275 yards, and it went down like someone chopped its legs out from under it. Youll have more of an issue getting a nice solid rest than youll have with range, just make sure to shoot it plenty and know the limits.

• Like 1

OK. confued me a bit. I don't think there is a round .270 win mag...that isn't the wsm. Inside most of out hunting distances you won't see a difference. I know a lot of the guys who a doing accuracy mods on the encores are even dropping down to a 20" barrel and not seeing any significant loss in ballistics. Many are seeing increases in accuracy though. They start talking about things like barrel harmonics and I go to sleep...lol.

I am using a .308 Win in a 15" barrel and the the reduced recoil loads I did for it are very very accurate. on teh bench with a bipod i am 5 shots in a quaarter at 100 yards. 1" high. at 200 I am about 15" lower and tennis ball size group. If I do my part.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club