Winter Tent Camping/Hunting

Elmo

Ive heard of my camping friends do backpack camping during the winter. Starting fires on the snow etc. They never hunted, so they were able to bring more camping gear than we would. Another option would be to camp out in the car and leave early in the morning to hunt and retire to the car if gear is too heavy.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Dont laugh too much, I know a guy that put a hot tub in when he remodeled his house, and it overlooks a pond and hill on his property where he sees deer all of the time. Hes sits in that hot tub with his Encore at the ready during the season and has said many times one of his goals is to shoot a nice buck while relaxing in the hot tub.

A guy who I used to hunt with used to camp out with his old crew up near the top (about 3000 ft) of one of the mountains we hunt in the catskills. One of the ways they were able to make it happen from year to years is that they would leave certain items hidden under a tarp up on the mountain all year long. (I'm certain this is not legal, but back when they were doing this, it was a freer country). From the way he explained it to me, his crew would spend an entire first day or two just lugging their gear up there.

My cousin and i talk about tent camping deep in the woods every year, but it never comes to fruition. It sure would be a heck of a lot of effort. Plus, as much as I don;t mind roughing it, after being in the woods from dark til dark, its nice to come into a dry, warm cabin, eat like a king, take a hot shower and relax.

Why not try this before setting up deer camp?Gather up your supply's and head up to Peak a Moose for the weekend Located off route 17 in Roscoe NY this is realy not the same as tenting because if you are lucky enough you can use a leanto but bring your tent just incase.Been going up there for year's and is alot of fun.It is a great place to experiment with your Idea.

• 6 months later...

Wow great thread!

Up until i had kids exactly 17.4 years ago i was an avid and some would say crazy 4 season backpacker.

Here's some of what I've learned.

Sleds are a great idea, here's how cross-country ski or snowshoe enthusiasts use them. You need sticks the proper length for your gait you can make them or buy them usually made of nylon plastic that doesn't get too stiff and break in winter but I've seen them made of aluminum and such. These sticks attach to a waist belt putting the pulling effort at your waist and keeping the sled from hitting your ankles on the down hills. A sled will increase your comfort level by allowing you to bring more comforts. Sled shapes vary but a Jon boat shaped sled with plenty of lashing points is what I've found works best.

For sheer fun check these guys out: http://www.mountainboysleds.com

Tents for winter come in two varieties, the small wind resistant bubble dome types, very tight but not hard to heat and the I can stand up and walk around type which will require a heater. both are expensive and somewhat specialized. My solution was the two person 4 season dome which i mostly use just for me i couldn't stand up but i can spread out.

Other than all the other common sense safety issues already mentioned here I want to say pick your tent-mate carefully! Winter camping isn't always easy but I feel with the right company it is never boring and has rewards unique to the season.

There is so much more to winter in the woods than just cold.

Buzz

Mixing Tub @ tractor supply (large) it has two bolt holes on each end - get two eyelet bolts a little rope and a shoulder strap/waist deer drag and you can tow this thing with snowshoes. It's what I use to get to camp in the winter, after a 2 mile hike on a seasonal dirt road. Once you off the main trail and into deeper light snow you have to side step to your camp or the weight will be an issue.

If your talking about only a few 2-3 inches of snow just use a game cart.

Now, getting all that crap to where you want to be is going to make you sweat, allot. If you need to expend more energy establishing shelter make sure you have a dry set of clothes/gear packed and ready. Hypothermia can be bad news.