Overseeding Clover

I have a couple existing clover plots that are getting thin. I mowed it a couple weeks ago, as I thought the weeds were taking over, and purposely I mowed it short ("yard" kind of short!), thinking the clover was all done for. Now, it seems like the clover has really perked back up again (maybe because of getting more rain) and I think it looks promising. I would like to overseed it while it's mowed so short, as I think the seed would have good soil to seed contact. My disc broke last year, so I can't disc the plot. I do have a york rake, that I could scratch the ground up with before seeding, but it may destroy the existing clover.? Do you think the seed would germinate well by just overseeding without working the ground?

Seeing The clover is growing good right now...which by the way mowing clover stimulates it's growth....and your not in a hurry....I would wait and over seed in the late winter spring to catch frost heaving....clover most not all respond well to frost seedings

Then again if your getting a lot of good rain and the forecast shows good moisture and seed is coated...now should work as well....

We'll in it's natural state, red clover drops it's seeds in the fall. Think if I seeded it now, I would put some type of grain seed with it. Wheat or rye, or maybe even oats, or a mixture of each. Be a nice draw, come bow-gun season, and would protect the young clover seedlings. The wheat and rye would grow next year, and be a nice feed for wildlife, when mature, but would have to be cut.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

IMO I would wait til fall rains start pickin up. (unless it's very moist soil-fear of false germination) Not sure about the rake...one option might be scuffing it w disc. We had real good success spraying Arrest for grass this year (takes about 3-4 weeks to notice the kill)