Winter Wheat

23 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Very interesting. Do you think that helps them this time of year? Clover is already growing so not sure if I would value wheat as anything more then a cover crop for the spring. 

I usually plant wheat and clover together in early September and there is always older clover around those new “mixed” plots.  I plant the fields in strips, so there will be straight older clover, young clover and wheat mix, and standing corn in the same fields.  The deer are usually on the straight clover from late May until about Mid November.  Once the first few gun season shots ring out, they move into standing corn or other thick cover by day.  

From then till mid May, they seem to like the wheat mix better than the straight clover, when they come out of the cover at dark.   Like I said above, they were out 1/2 hour before sunset today.  

When we had the first good snow cover in early January, the tracks made it real easy to see that they liked the wheat the best: 

1309EFC4-44A8-4E20-87BE-960FCA40E1F0.thumb.jpeg.e0e5d81c8e247be815776790567f77e5.jpeg

There was not a single track in the strip of straight clover in front of that pounded wheat/clover mix plot.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1