Labor Day weekend Annuals

I'm just happy Gander shipped my order. Should be on time now. They need to do something with their cart. I mean you spend 100$ or so and hear nothing for days.

Ok, bought an AntlerKing product fall/winter/spring winter (cereal) rye & peas mix. 1 bag for a new plot & 1 bag to salvage another plot near the clover. I typicaly overseed a little, not sure if that's a good habit but I figgure not all will germinate and there will be loss to some seed slightly exposed. This leaves a small strip about 1x50 yards, and another 5x10 yard spot, cleared out to expand the soy/peas next year should they prove. Should have gotten a 3rd bag, but I didn't. These small spots are partly shadded. Seems a shame to leave them be till next year. Maybe I can find a small bag of something annual without reg rye on the label.

What else is anyone planting?

An interesting observation - the soy/peas plot is now doing better then the clover. Not crazy better but it doesn't look like it's getting hit like the clover. So, I picked up a bag of peas/oats I'll put in the strip. The clover will then be bracketed by that and the winter rye/peas. These are not huge plots but near an acre all together.

About three years ago I tried oats and they didn't pan out. But they were planted about a month early.

Sounds like things are going great ...Good Luck...I just checked the radish plot....seeds that didn't germinate before are now and the curled up radish plants popped right back with last nights rains...the big thing I was checking was the bonar rape seed.... I over seed that and the soybean/hemp plot with it a couple of weeks ago and then the rains never came...sprouts every where and even hemp and soybean seed that did not sprout a month ago ...are now!!....lets hope the moisture stays level for the next couple of weeks...

Can't wait to check lower plots...over seeded that as well...woodland trail plot has perked right up as well... :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Activity just under 2-weeks after planting.

post-4-0-19676800-1347991285_thumb.jpg

salvaged plot - mild shade - winter rye

bare spot up top part of next years expansion plan

clover plot (hammered) 20 yards to the right

post-4-0-18831100-1347991377_thumb.jpg

strip of oats next to soy/peas - mild shade - plot came back after drought

oddly the deer don't seem to know what to make of the soy yet, hoping the oats will help.

clover plot (mentioned above) about 30 yards to the left.

post-4-0-77690500-1347991504_thumb.jpg

new plot - winter rye - pic shows most of it - matted down a bit after a storm.

Edited by Fantail