New Duck Hunter on Long Island here....

torosedutto

Ive been hunting upland and deer for quite some time now down on Long Island.... and Im interested in having a go at waterfowl.... i have my lisence, duck stamp, HuntIP # all that jazz.... had a few questions i couldnt seem to find in any other thread....

Regarding the south shore bays in nassau/suffolk county, is it legal to hunt from the islands, marshes out in the open bay? specifically those south of nassau county.

What are the laws regarding how far from bridges, docks and other structure one may discharge a firearm?

What are the laws governing how far from a marked boating channel one may discharge a firearm?

Any help anybody could offer up would be greatly appreciated...

yes i hunt the islands open waters as long as there are no signs saying to keep off if there are you can hunt from your boat next to an Island I have a spot were you can not hunt on but you can place your boat close to the island and hunt from it

good luck

papabear

yes i hunt the islands open waters as long as there are no signs saying to keep off if there are you can hunt from your boat next to an Island I have a spot were you can not hunt on but you can place your boat close to the island and hunt from it

good luck

papabear

So legal to hunt from a layout blind on the island unless posted. and if posted i can hunt next to the island in my boat..... got it. Thanks much papabear.

I hunt in Reynolds channel out of Point Lookout all the time. You can pull the boat right up to any of the islands and hunt. Or, you can hop out of the boat and hunt the puddles on the islands.

Thanks for the insight Virgil.....So if i understand correctly, there are no laws governing how far you need to be from a marked channel, such as Reynolds? Only distance that matters is how far from structure (500 ft) just like hunting on land?

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting bull.... If you have some questions I suggest that you contact the Bay Constable's office in the town where you want to hunt....Some towns call them different names..Like, Harbor Master, etc. .... You're probably going to run into them out there so it's best to get the info.before you go. I'd also check the DEC in Stoney Brook ..(.I rarely ran into law enforcement while hunting on L.I. EXCEPT for waterfowl hunting. When I was in the marshes, or on, or near the islands waterfowling I would get checked constantly .

I haven't checked yet, but the Southshore Waterfowlers have a Waterfowl Event every year in Oct., or Nov. ( I think Oct.). You can check their website and get the info.. If you go you'll meet a lot of waterfowlers and possibly some Law Enforcement people who can answer your questions.. good luck.