air rifle hunting

Was EXTREMELY close to buying a Benjamin Marauder .25 online yesterday... I really would like one, but I just can't justify dishing out the $460 right now. I also have some HPA tanks from paintball to keep the rifle filled, so I wouldn't have to dish out cash on that atleast, or deal with the dreaded pump that I hear is a real PITA

Was EXTREMELY close to buying a Benjamin Marauder .25 online yesterday... I really would like one, but I just can't justify dishing out the $460 right now. I also have some HPA tanks from paintball to keep the rifle filled, so I wouldn't have to dish out cash on that atleast, or deal with the dreaded pump that I hear is a real PITA

The tanks and other ancillaries are the only thing really keeping me from getting a good, quality PCP rifle. The good thing about air guns is the inexpensive trigger time, IMHO. Is it as fun as sending 7.62s down range? Of course not. But sending 200 "rounds" down range for $10 is a good deal. And hell, it's just plain fun. And helps me keep my eye sharp.

• Like 1

How much do the pellets cost? Do you guys put scopes on these guns? I'm actually kind of interested. At $150, why not?

Hi, Doc. It actually varies, like everything else. But, compared to firearm ammo, still much cheaper. The air rifle I have has excellent power. Springers, and some Nitro Pistons, you can get for a very reasonable price these days. My personal preferences for hunting, are either the .22, or better yet, the .25.

• Like 1

I use my Marauder in .22 caliber. It is quiet and accurate. I use the pump and it gives a little work out, but not too bad. The .25 Marauder, I was told, is not friendly to the pump and you need the tank system. I also have the Discovery in .22 cal. It is disappointing in performance. I could not get it to group worth a darn. The Marauder is no comparison. It's great.

Gamo claims The Bone Collector Bull whisperer can fire a .177 PBA platinum pellet at 1300 FPS. I will try some smallgaming later this week. Serious power !

Unfortunately, the PBA's are notoriously inaccurate, since the pellet is pretty much traveling way too fast. Their just too light. I tend to like heavier pellets. I'd rather trade off speed, for accuracy, and downrange energy.

Unfortunately, the PBA's are notoriously inaccurate, since the pellet is pretty much traveling way too fast. Their just too light. I tend to like heavier pellets. I'd rather trade off speed, for accuracy, and downrange energy.

Took the words out of my mouth. A .177 traveling at that speed is almost useless, way too fast for that size and weight of a pellet. I will take a ~900 FPS .25 cal pellet any day over that.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how I missed this thread. I currently own 3 hunting class air rifles. A Crosman powermaster 66, Crosman Nitro Venom and a Benjamin Marauder. The Crosman's are in .177 and Benjamin is .25. Pump, breakbarrel, and PCP respectively. Pellets range from 1 cent each, all the way to 10 cents a pop. For the most part, lead pellets in dome shaped works best for hunting, as accuracy is most important in airguns. A good scope usually costs 200-400 for a good setup.

Steve, I've replied to the paintball tank setup problem over in the other forum. Wish I saw this sooner.

Don't know how I missed this thread. I currently own 3 hunting class air rifles. A Crosman powermaster 66, Crosman Nitro Venom and a Benjamin Marauder. The Crosman's are in .177 and Benjamin is .25. Pump, breakbarrel, and PCP respectively. Pellets range from 1 cent each, all the way to 10 cents a pop. For the most part, lead pellets in dome shaped works best for hunting, as accuracy is most important in airguns. A good scope usually costs 200-400 for a good setup.

Steve, I've replied to the paintball tank setup problem over in the other forum. Wish I saw this sooner.

Hi Shawn, haha. No problem man, I have narrowed it down to the regulator on my HPA tank. I should have known that it only will release ~900 PSI, but it has been many years since I played paintball. It just slipped my mind.

I am trying to figure out a way to still use the tank(s). Few ideas so far... changing regulator, altering current regulator (adding shims to increase pressure), adding parts to current regulator to make the QD fill valve into a 2-way valve with a lever, etc... Not sure what I'm going to do yet tho.

Hi Shawn, haha. No problem man, I have narrowed it down to the regulator on my HPA tank. I should have known that it only will release ~900 PSI, but it has been many years since I played paintball. It just slipped my mind.

I am trying to figure out a way to still use the tank(s). Few ideas so far... changing regulator, altering current regulator (adding shims to increase pressure), adding parts to current regulator to make the QD fill valve into a 2-way valve with a lever, etc... Not sure what I'm going to do yet tho.

Since you already have the fill station from rev to gun(make sure it's rated for 3k psi) then I would go with the reg modification route by contacting reg manufacturer. You'll either need a stronger spring, or shims, depending on who made the reg. There are also prelate regs available for purchase from jdsair and Joe.

What do you plan on taking with the .25?

Since you already have the fill station from rev to gun(make sure it's rated for 3k psi) then I would go with the reg modification route by contacting reg manufacturer. You'll either need a stronger spring, or shims, depending on who made the reg. There are also prelate regs available for purchase from jdsair and Joe.

What do you plan on taking with the .25?

Yes, my remote line is 3k PSI rated.

I was trying to find info about the shims for my reg and was coming up empty. Then I thought about tinkering around with it myself, but its too much of a hassle because it would basically be trial and error. I would have to set up my reg to what I think would give me 3k+ PSI output, then bring it to get filled, then test it, and if its not right, degas the tank and try it all again. Sounds like a PITA...

Funny you say that, I just got done ordering a 4500 PSI to 3k PSI regulator from jdsair! I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything else since I had a 4500/88cu tank already and the remote line with QD's. I cant believe I forgot about the tanks regulator. :angry: Oh well... Also with buying a whole new reg, if I ever wanted to play paintball, its a relatively simple swap to put the original regulator back on.

I found some calculators and I figure my tank will give me about 5 fills from 1k to 3k PSI, after I install the new reg of course.

I plan on shooting lots of paper, squirrel, rabbit, and maybe even coyote with the .25

Oh and i just remembered, I need a scope. I think I may have one laying around somewhere tho... :spiteful:

Thanks for your help Shawn

Edited by SteveNY

Steve,

Just a few things. I agree with the trial and error, but Crosfire has a spring in prototype already, so it's a drop in mod. Easy peasy.

Second, I really don't think your Mrod will be shooting down to 1k psi, most likely 2100. Mine is set to a 2650 fill for 860 fps using JSB Kings. By 2100 psi, I'm in the low 840 fps range, and that's not acceptable for my hunting needs. This gives me roughly 8-12 shots. If I started at 3k or even 3.2k psi, I could get about 24 shots, but the first shot would be less than ideal for hunting. I know his because I've invested in a chronograph that measures the speed at certain pressures. It's a must if you ever want to tune or use Chairgun's software for pellet trajectory calculations. We should get yours measured once you get some shooting done.

As for a scope, the Mrod demands a powerful scope. Trust me on this. Airguns is different from powder burners in the way they kill. Airguns require very precise shots, and that's why you need as much as 16-24x zoom on them. The Mrod is a 100 yard gun easily. Shooting small game 50-100 yards with a 3-9x is going to be hard at best. You'll also want something with parallax adjustments, such as Hawke or Leapers scopes. The Mrod will also accommodate as big as a 56mm lens with medium rings. I personally have the Leapers 4-16x56mm scope on mine.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM or give me a ring. I'm only 30 mins or so from you as well.

Shawn

I have and RWS Model 34 in .22 caliber with a 4x Leapers on it. It's a springer and I like the trigger. I've popped a bunch of starlings. No squirrels yet but it's not the guns fault. Just need to get out more.

I'm using JSB Diablo 15.9 gr or Crossman Premiers at 14.7 gr. The JBS's shoot a little tighter in my gun. I won't mess around with the Gamo PBS, seems like a waste of money to mess around with such a light weight pellet.

I buy my stuff from Pyramidair.com

I have and RWS Model 34 in .22 caliber with a 4x Leapers on it. It's a springer and I like the trigger. I've popped a bunch of starlings. No squirrels yet but it's not the guns fault. Just need to get out more.

I'm using JSB Diablo 15.9 gr or Crossman Premiers at 14.7 gr. The JBS's shoot a little tighter in my gun. I won't mess around with the Gamo PBS, seems like a waste of money to mess around with such a light weight pellet.

I buy my stuff from Pyramidair.com

It's actually spelled pyramydair. Those magnum springs can probably do a little better using heavier pellets such as the 18.1 grain JSBs. If you can hit starlings, squirrels will not be a problem at all. We do an airgun hunt almost every weekend. If you're in the area, you should join for a small game get together.

It's actually spelled pyramydair. Those magnum springs can probably do a little better using heavier pellets such as the 18.1 grain JSBs. If you can hit starlings, squirrels will not be a problem at all. We do an airgun hunt almost every weekend. If you're in the area, you should join for a small game get together.

let me know the next time you guys go out Shawn.

• 2 weeks later...