Wind direction indicators.

erussell

:smoke::rofl:

I still sit and shake my head sometimes thinking about all the deer I prolly scared the crap out of thinking the forest was on fire as I huffed and puffed up and down the hills with a camel unfiltered hanging out my yap. Glad I quit about 8 yrs ago. Still was alot of fun sitting on stand with a cig and a cup of coffee. Must have been enough stank to clear out half the woods of deer.

Edited by erussell

:smoke::rofl:

I still sit and shake my head sometimes thinking about all the deer I prolly scared the crap out of thinking the forest was on fire as I huffed and puffed up and down the hills with a camel unfiltered hanging out my yap. Glad I quit about 8 yrs ago. Still was alot of fun sitting on stand with a cig and a cup of coffee. Must have been enough stank to clear out half the woods of deer.

Yup ... it's been almost 5 years since I quit, and I still get the urge. And yes, the time that I miss it the most is when I'm on stand. Used to stink up the woods at the rate of about 1 cigarette per 1/2 hour. I still managed to get my share of deer, but I always wondered how many I didn't get because of my smoking. It really filled the hunt with confidence when I saw that smoke curling over toward the trail I was watching .... lol.

Read an article the other day that said to clean your equipment with a hydrogen peroxide soaked paper towel ( bow, calls, optics ect. ) as scent away products were intended for clothing use and not for equipment. Anyone else do this for equipment scent control. I always though scent away products worked on equipment to?

I've been using this guy. Has worked great for me so far.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

I think the powder style wind indicators are great for a quick idea of what the wind is doing in close to you. However, maybe you can educate me a bit on those things since I have never used any of it, but is the stuff still visble 15 or 20 yards away from where you dispense it? I ask that because the milkweed seeds that I spoke of a while back stay aloft for a long ways out and can be seen from quite a long distance. I often am surprised to see just how different my scent path is as it gets farther and farther away from me.

My only experience with the powder stuff is what I see on TV and it looks as if it is fairly dispersed within a couple of yards. So if the wind is taking any turns and twists and reversals 10 yards out or more the powder never reveals that.

I think the powder style wind indicators are great for a quick idea of what the wind is doing in close to you. However, maybe you can educate me a bit on those things since I have never used any of it, but is the stuff still visble 15 or 20 yards away from where you dispense it? I ask that because the milkweed seeds that I spoke of a while back stay aloft for a long ways out and can be seen from quite a long distance. I often am surprised to see just how different my scent path is as it gets farther and farther away from me.

My only experience with the powder stuff is what I see on TV and it looks as if it is fairly dispersed within a couple of yards. So if the wind is taking any turns and twists and reversals 10 yards out or more the powder never reveals that.

You're right on that. It diappears within 2 feet. Won't know what the wind is doing further than that.

You're right on that. It diappears within 2 feet. Won't know what the wind is doing further than that.

Keep your eyes out for just one milkweed pod and strip out the seeds, put them into a small zip-lock baggie and then stuff the baggie in your pack. It is amazing to watch those little critters take off. I just send one out once in a while when I am on stand just to feel good about where my scent is really going..... Or .... to learn the ugly truth about how its going in a place I really wish it wasn't.... lol.

Keep your eyes out for just one milkweed pod and strip out the seeds, put them into a small zip-lock baggie and then stuff the baggie in your pack. It is amazing to watch those little critters take off. I just send one out once in a while when I am on stand just to feel good about where my scent is really going..... Or .... to learn the ugly truth about how its going in a place I really wish it wasn't.... lol.

Have not see milkweed pods but when I come across one, I'll definitely take in your advice. Thanks.

I just picked 6 pods and brought them home last Sunday. I slit it open and placed on the oven rack at 190 and dried them out. They are not ready on their own. Love them. I also use thread hanging from my stabilizer as well.

Edited by nybuckboy