Employee asked what kind of firearm .22 ammo was being purchased for.

I bought a 500 round box of .22 long rifle ammo yesterday at a large sporting goods store.. Upon checkout the clerk asked if the ammo was for a pistol or rifle. My answer was "both". Next question was "do you have your permit with you?" No I don't was my answer.So rifle was entered in to the computer.

I don't recall ever being asked this question before.What relevance is there ? In the future I could just answer rifle. I don't understand why a round like .22 L.R. would need to have this information recorded.Is this a law or a store policy ?

• Like 1

Water i think you are right because my friend has a 44 rifle and everytime he goes to buy ammo they ask him if it is for a pistol. He tells them it is for his rifle and he is allowed to purchase it without a permit. I think they want to make sure that people are not buying ammo for illegal firearms.

I was asked at my local walmart. when I purchased .223 ammo for my AR15. the cashier asked if I had a permit and I said no there is no such thing for a rifle. After argueing with cashier then the manager I was refused service and was not allowed to purchase the rifle ammo.... The only Laws in NYS for Ammo purchases are you must be 21 years of ago or older. that goes for rifle and pistol ammo. You do not need a permit to purchase any ammo. This is just the corporate P&P put into place for other states like New Jersey that requires you to have a firearms permit to own any firearm. Rifle and Pistol included. This policy hurts the states where you do not need a permit for rifle.

Man apoallo, I would have been red faced mad if Walmart did that to me.The funny thing is I bought .22 ammo from Walmart last Christmas season and I don't recall being asked what the ammo was going to be fired with.I may just not remember or maybe the clerk there asked if it was for a rifle and I answered yes.Anyone trying to purchase ammo for an illegal handgun is going to learn quickly to just answer that it is for a rifle.

Man apoallo, I would have been red faced mad if Walmart did that to me.The funny thing is I bought .22 ammo from Walmart last Christmas season and I don't recall being asked what the ammo was going to be fired with.I may just not remember or maybe the clerk there asked if it was for a rifle and I answered yes.Anyone trying to purchase ammo for an illegal handgun is going to learn quickly to just answer that it is for a rifle.

yeah I was pretty pissed off. Stores that do this are trying to protect their rear ends, I get that.. however at least be knowledgable able the local laws where you have your chain stores and adjust the policies and procedures per location. It you have a store in New Jersey then ask for the firearms ID card if u have a store in NY dont ask to see a permit that dont exist. Gander Mountain doesnt even ask to see my ID when I buy ammo.

Maybe its a regional thing. The closer you are to NYC or NJ the more apt the stores are to play cover your a$$. In upstate it's never been an issue that I can recall. The local Gander Mnt. has all their ammo out on the floor. Pistol included. You just take what you need and check out.

Didn't know about the 21 and over rule. The Dicks in White Plains won't sell me .22 ammo because I don't have a pistol license which I must have to purchase any ammo that can fit into a handgun. (I guess they never consider the Thompson/Centers) I go to the Gandermountain in Middletown and I walk out with a box of .22 ammo and they don't say anything other than "Thank you. Come again." I order .22 ammo online and they show up at my door. Go figure.

I know. I guess I like the old days when you could walk in to a hardware or dept. store and buy your ammo with no questions asked as long as you were old enough.But that was before Columbine,car jacking,gang violence and people blowing up federal buildings.

Columbine: Okay

Carjacking: The invention of the word? Yes. The act for which the term was coined? Do you predate the invention of the automobile?

Gang Violence: No

People blowing up federal buildings: At home or abroad? Sure, he failed, but Guy Fawkes I'm pretty sure predates you by quite some time.

This is nothing but the product of fear mongering over what someone could do with a firearm being hammered onto and into us for decades. Prohibition of alcohol saw the largest rise in organized crime in American history. Gangsta's of today have nothing on Gangsters of Capone, Lansky and Schultz's gangs.

Gun control isn't about guns. It's about control.

As for the question, I'd guess it has to do with trying to CONTROL who has access to pistol ammunition. Consider, it is unlawful for a felon to possess ammunition. However, there is no mechanism in place whatsoever to prevent him from walking into a store and purchasing ammunition, paying with cash, and having a virtually untraceable felony transaction. Right in a commercial retail establishment, not in some back alley buying rounds out of the trunk of Tony Pepperoni's Cadillac.

• Like 1

None of these stupid laws do one single thing to prevent any type of crime, and the politicians who pass these laws know it. What they also know is, if they can make it next to impossible for gun owners to legally buy, possess, or shoot your guns and ammo, you will either give up owning them, or pay thousands defending yourself in court on bogus gun law charges. Hell the gun owners and retailers don't even know what the laws are. Often times the cops don't know either! But they will arrest you on the presumution of breaking a law and let you pay a lawyer to prove you didn't break one. I've seen this scenario play out many times involving members of the NJ Arms Collectors Club.

The time to beech about these laws is prior to them being passed into law. But some folks think they are OK and seem "reasonable" when they are proposed because they only listen to the sales pitch the politicians spew when they propose the bill. They need to take the time to look into the possible negative, or abusive, effects these laws will have on them and educate themselves on their threats to our personal liberties.

The government wants to control gun owners and the leftist politicians hate your guts. Gun owners better start to realize that. I don't hold my breath expecting that to happen though.

• Like 2

Columbine: Okay

Carjacking: The invention of the word? Yes. The act for which the term was coined? Do you predate the invention of the automobile?

Gang Violence: No

People blowing up federal buildings: At home or abroad? Sure, he failed, but Guy Fawkes I'm pretty sure predates you by quite some time.

This is nothing but the product of fear mongering over what someone could do with a firearm being hammered onto and into us for decades. Prohibition of alcohol saw the largest rise in organized crime in American history. Gangsta's of today have nothing on Gangsters of Capone, Lansky and Schultz's gangs.

Gun control isn't about guns. It's about control.

As for the question, I'd guess it has to do with trying to CONTROL who has access to pistol ammunition. Consider, it is unlawful for a felon to possess ammunition. However, there is no mechanism in place whatsoever to prevent him from walking into a store and purchasing ammunition, paying with cash, and having a virtually untraceable felony transaction. Right in a commercial retail establishment, not in some back alley buying rounds out of the trunk of Tony Pepperoni's Cadillac.

Remember remember the fifth of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever be forgot...

And then Guy was hung,drawn and quartered.

Edited by 132 eight pointer

Remember remember the fifth of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever be forgot...

And then Guy was hung,drawn and quartered.

And rightly so. I'm simply saying that these events aren't new. But with the invention and profligacy of instantaneous mass media, the idea of them is drilled into us more often. This makes things seem like they either didn't happen before - the case of carjacking, the word itself was invented in the 90's, but the crime itself, hijacking a car, has existed since cars have - or occur more often. The idea that gang violence is worse now than before, I'd like to see that substantiated, because I personally think that's a load of donkey dust. That of course gets into other topics, like the utterly and completely failed concept of the war on drugs. The only difference between prohibition and the war on drugs is that the overwhelming majority of the violence instigated and caused by the black market for recreational pharmaceuticals has caused is not domestic. Black markets only ever cause more crime. If you outlaw a substance, you do nothing to curtail demand, you have only affected supply. Now the supply is in the hands of illegal entities like drug cartels, who since they already operate outside of the law, the administration and enforcement policies will also be outside the law.

[insert Mexican drug cartel chainsaw beheading video here]

End the war on drugs, end the violence. It took us about a decade to realize that the first time. But now, we're 40 years out and still doing the same stupid shit and expecting different results. Meanwhile, literally millions of lives have been ruined with felony convictions over substances, whether natural or engineered, which the consumption of has no victim.

The same can be said with gun laws. No gun law will stop a felon determined to get his hands on a gun. They will only stop someone who has no intention of breaking the law again. In other words, it only keeps firearms from those who have been rehabilitated. So, some guy in Texas who was sentenced to 5 years because he had a bag of marijuana for personal consumption now has no means of defending himself against the criminal who doesn't care if he breaks the law, and owns a gun. There's no sense behind it at all. If a person is too dangerous to own a gun, they're too dangerous to be out of prison. If they are out of prison, they have every right to own and use the greatest tool available to them for self defense.

knee-jerk reactionary laws, like drug laws, gun laws, and morally judgmental laws like laws against prostitution are ineffective, and unConstitutional.

I agree on most of your views Felonious ( except the drawn and quartering for Guy F. was a bit overdoing it).

Unfortunately I have read that come 2013 some of our elected officials will be trying to restrict / limit ownership of more firearms and ammo.This in response to recent mass shootings OUTSIDE of N.Y. I am expecting to send emails to my reps. when that takes place.