Moving Upstate

AaronBlaine

you got a good point about the beauty, ive walked the woods down south and they are plain UGLY. kinda looks like haunted forests down there with weird crap hanging from all the trees. the fall season sucks as far as fiolage, its hot during hunting season,uuugghh and the the forest floor has sand on it and the freakin bugs and snakes, i just dont think im ready for hunting in the south. ohhhh and the deer got little bodies.

If somebody made snake-bite boots that zipped up over your head, maybe I could get a little more interested in the south. But really, who the heck wants to go wallowing through neck high grass with a bunch of angry, nasty snakes ready to inject nerve paralyzing, skin decomposing, venom into you. Who really needs that. And yes, little tiny toy deer. You need a half dozen to get any meat. And oh yes ..... the bugs. I can't stand the ones we've got here, and certainly would sign up to feed the miniature helicopters that they have down there.

And yes we do have a variety of seasons that cuts down on the boredom. Maybe the winters are longer than I would like them, but that's what keeps those snakes and bugs down south.

No we may have some wacky politics and some burdensome taxes, but when you tally it all up, NYS has its good points.

If somebody made snake-bite boots that zipped up over your head, maybe I could get a little more interested in the south. But really, who the heck wants to go wallowing through neck high grass with a bunch of angry, nasty snakes ready to inject nerve paralyzing, skin decomposing, venom into you. Who really needs that. And yes, little tiny toy deer. You need a half dozen to get any meat. And oh yes ..... the bugs. I can't stand the ones we've got here, and certainly would sign up to feed the miniature helicopters that they have down there.

And yes we do have a variety of seasons that cuts down on the boredom. Maybe the winters are longer than I would like them, but that's what keeps those snakes and bugs down south.

No we may have some wacky politics and some burdensome taxes, but when you tally it all up, NYS has its good points.

I know snakes when it comes to hunting...cut my teeth in Virginia.

Once stepped on a cottonmouth on an ISLAND. Boot landed right on its head as the grass parted (waist high). Big sucker...I froze and this thing is squirming hitting my leg and I have its head under my toes. Pops was with me and it took 5 minutes of him telling me it'll be OK (Can't kill them) and to just lift my foot. Scariest moment of my life up until that point (I was maybe 20). Snake went that way...I went the other way.

I've always thought about moving...Ohio is not bad if it is in the right area, but it has a ton of poorer areas and poor job markets. I don't think I have found the "perfect" place yet, but it's not too bad here.

I am pretty sure upstate New York keeps coming in at the top part of this list on affordable living. As in land, house, rent and such. It was also one of the least affected areas when the recession hit and values went crashing down everywhere. Yes some of the taxes really suck, glad I do not smoke anymore!!

I really like the seasons and we are pretty safe from major weather disasters, yea we get snow but most of the state besides where I live gets less than 50 inches of snow a year. No hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, forest fires, or huge floods.

I could possibly cosider some place out west like Idaho or Montana but out there in that beautiful county things are a lot farther apart. In NY besides the Dacks you can not be more than 45 to 60 minutes from a city anywhere in the state! I like that I can be in the Dacks in an hour, Canada in an hour, 6 hours to the Ocean or NYC.

Everyplace has its pluses and minuses it is what is the right balance for you.

• Like 1