Another Deer Hunting first for me

nyantler

I thought I'd experienced it all before last evening... i was coming out of the woods.. it was still light out but legal hunting was over... as i can around a hedrow to a grassy lane leading to my truck i saw a doe staring at me about 50 yards away on the other side of the lane... at first i thought I'd back track as not to spook her, but then my curious side came out and I decided to see what I could get away with... the lane is about 30-35 yard wide.. so I started walking up my side of the grass lane against the hedgerow but in the open to see how long she would tolerate my presence... I was wearing my ghilie suit, but my head wasn't covered at the time.. I walked slowly bent over up the lane. I got exactly opposite from her in the lane just 30-35 yards apart and she didn't move.. she just kept staring.. I stopped and kneeled on the ground thinking she would do the old tail flip and bound away.. but she just stayed there watching... so I took out my camera to get a pic.. I wasn't sure it would come out because of the lack of light but what the heck!.. i pointed the camera and pushed the button.. the camera flashed.. she flinched at the sight of the flash.. then returned to her upright position and kept staring.. unbelievable!.. I put my camera back in my fanny pack and started again bent over up the hedgerow to my truck... looking back to see her still staring at me all the way up... the last time I looked back she had her head down and had continued feed on in the grass... I think I've seen it all now.. you just never know for sure what a whitetail is going to do at any given moment.

The pic came out dark like I thought it would but you can see her eyes..

post-525-0-34043400-1349531248_thumb.jpg

sometimes its like they know when you can and cannot shoot them and do things like this just to tease you. but hey even tho she lived another day its something not many of us will experience and something you can take with you to add to your hunting exp and makes for an awesome story if i may add.

The camera flash part was the most surprising to me.. she flinched just like they do when they hear the sound of the bow.. her belly went right to the ground.. normally you'd think that would be the end of it.. I was dumbfounded when she just stood back up and kept staring...

Fun isn't it....bet you or several others have her on game cams...and she probably gets head lights flashing in her direction at night...being close to the road

There wouldn't be any trail cams here.. and it isn't really near any real road.. my truck was parked back in a ways of the road... but yes it was fun.. It is so interesting how unpredictible whitetails can be sometimes... just when you think you have them pegged.. you don't!