Urban trapping

crappyice

I have a family of coons that love my garbage. In the past I have used havaheart traps to relocate pesky garbage thieves. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I am wondering if I could dispatch of the next coon trapped to make a pelt. I do not have a trappers license which is one of the main reasons why I would assume the answer in "no"

I have a family of coons that love my garbage. In the past I have used havaheart traps to relocate pesky garbage thieves. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I am wondering if I could dispatch of the next coon trapped to make a pelt. I do not have a trappers license which is one of the main reasons why I would assume the answer in "no"

Did you know you can only release or relocate wildlife on land you own?

Pelting or eating the animal might not be allowed. The permit to take destructive wildlife might specify the carcasses are buried - it is up to the person who issues you the permit. In the case of beavers, the permit will stipulate that beavers taken after May 15 must be buried.

If you want to look up the pertinent law it is: Environmental Conservation Law 11-0521

Another issue you may encounter which nobody really gives you a straight answer about is municipal ordinances, however it seems other than weapon discharge, trapping ordinances are preempted by state law.

Not sure about the 100 foot trap set reg if your nieghbor thinks the coons are a wonderful addition to your property and wont "give you permission".

I would check with the DEC...

Edited by mike rossi

I will call dec....somewhat optimistic that I may have a shot a this. Initially. Just thought I didn't stand a chance. Clearly I have been breaking laws about relocating already...what's one more broken law under my belt..jk...I'll call before I take any action and pos their reply

Why not just call and ask for a permit and be legal? You got a better chance of getting caught then you do the DEC thinking you just want to take a pelt out of season without a license because hey, everybody likes coons in thier buildings you know.... If you called the right dec branch, you would already have had the permit by now. Call the regional wildlife biologist for your area....

Edited by mike rossi

I asked the dec about this and was told I could trap and dispatch them but relocation was a big fine. They never said anything about how to dispose of them.

Assuming that you have a license?

My father coon hunted with dogs years ago when the prices were up. He never carried around a whole carcass, always just case skinned em' on the spot.

Being a trapper/predator hunter I'm always on the lookout for bait. I try to avoid catching coons because they're greasy, but some people still target them and would put it to good use if you're looking to off it somewhere.

You dont need a fur trapping license or a nuisance wildlife trapping license to trap animals causing damage to your property or creating a nuisance where you live. If somebody does this for a fee, he needs a nuisance license.

The permit is not the same as either of the above licenses. If it was an unprotected species like a woodchuck, red squirrell, or porcupine, the permit is not needed. Raccoons are partially protected, that is they can be taken, but only during established seasons. I had a permit issued when I was doing someone a favor, but when I requested a permit to take care of animals at my residence I was told to go ahead without the permit... So you may or may not need this permit, it is best to call and find how to be in compliance with the regulations.

If you have a fur trapping license and the problem is during the trapping season, you are trapping under the fur trapping regs, a possible issue is the restriction against setting a trap within 100 feet of a house other than your own without permission. I am not aware of any exceptions for cage traps to this reg.. Considering pets and the perception of children getting caught or bitten by a trapped animal, go with the cage, even set it INSIDE your garage.

As far as burying the carcass, what is a carcass? Trappers refer to it as the animal with the pelt removed but trappers didnt craft the law. Read the regs, what does it sound like? As I said the actual permits have a list of conditions of the permit with check boxes - one of them stipulates "bury carcasses". The permit I was issued did not have this box checked... The handling of beaver carcasses is more restricted after a certain date and I have no idea why... Curiously, solid waste can also be put in the trash or to the dump, so why specify bury? Maybe it is an oversight, but it only takes two seconds to dig a hole....

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1