Hunting in the rain?

HuntOrBeHunted

Just wondering if anyone has taken a deer in the rain?

The main reason I ask is because I for the first time bought a trail camera and after I left it in the woods for a few days it had a remarkable amount of pictures on it.

Some fox, raccoon and a ton of doe. But the next week it suposed to rain.

Just wondering if anyone has gottten a deer while in the rain. And i'm sure it will make tracking a lot harder to.

Any input??

Had no luck.

I think I set up too close to were the deer were walking. Didn't hear much more than a 4-wheeler that messed my hunt up since they kept going in a circle not knowing what the heck they were doing at 8am.

On my camera they ran a lot harder towards the night so i'm going to set up for tomorrow.

I'm more of a fair weather hunter. Never had much luck in the rain. Light sprinkle yes snow of course but rain I'd rather be dry and inside!

Thats what I was thinking. And the camera that has most my pics happens to come from a city in oneida county. Lots of rain but I have seen a lot of pics that make me want to be out there rain or shine lol.

Have you had any luck in Oneida county this year.

Thats what I was thinking. And the camera that has most my pics happens to come from a city in oneida county. Lots of rain but I have seen a lot of pics that make me want to be out there rain or shine lol.

Have you had any luck in Oneida county this year.

Nothing yet. My brother in law has been seeing quite a few doe and a buck or two. Me, not so much LOL. Heading out for an afternoon sit soon.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I hunt rain or shine. BUT you better have a very good shot if your going to pull that trigger in the rain. NO iffy shots and if it's late and you have to track in the dark and rain, you have a real challenge. All that said, unless it's wind and rain, or a complete downpour, i find the deer movement to be good in some key areas. Usually thicker cover, near bedding. And one of my most valuable pieces of equiptment, without a doubt, is my tree umbrella. It is literrally worth it's weight in gold. I was sceptical at first but i can promise you if you use it, you will love it.

Oh believe me Dave I wouldn't take a bad shot. I'd rather take no shot. I was more talking about bow hunting in the rain. ( I know I should have made it more clear in the tittle )

If I was shooting my rifle in the rain I wouldn't be worried about the deer taking another step. But I'm new to the bow hunting scene and just tlearing a few tricks.

Have you ever shot a deer in the rain Dave?? Do they move at the same times you think or do they just stay in their bed like I do lol.

Thanks for any input trying to make a harvest with my bow this year!

I have killed deer in the rain. light drizzle or rain that comes and goes throughout the day can be very productive. The key is to be out there, waiting out the rain so that when it does end, your in position to catch these deer getting up off their beds for a stretch and to shake the rain off their backs. So i like to be close to bedding on these wet days. By the way, i did sit a field edge that first sunday of the season, which rained almost all day long. Despite the weather, i saw 6 bucks and 19 does/yearlings. Action was good all day but when the rain stopped, the bigger deer started moving. I used the umbrella and never even broke out the rain gear.

Thats cool to see that many deer around.

I have another question for you Dave if you don't mind.

When I walked into the woods it was SUPER early like 6am, I got into my ground blind and no sooner than 5 minutes did I hear a very weird and pretty unexplainable noise. Sorta like a grunt but nothing like I have ever heard. It sorta freaked me out being that it was still very dark and I was bow hunting rather than sitting with a gun.

It's hard to explain the sound it was louder and happened about 7 to 13 times and then just stopped.

I didn't hear anything move so I was still wondering what it was. I was sitting close to what I thought was their bedding area. Maybe it was a deer bedded down and they heard me getting in my blind?