Wood Platform Stand, #1 Done and up!

burmjohn

You need to put something on it ( paint , stain , etc ) to get it to blend in . It really stands out in the woods .

Um, not sure if you were aware but trees do not grow up  ;D  They grow from the top, they grow out meaning they have a growth ring year to year making them bigger around but nothing you attached to the tree will be any higher than it was 50 years before.  Haven't you ever seen a wire fence going through a tree?

Is there an echo in here?  :D

Looks great and very close to what my son and I are building now. We have 3 of them in various locations now and are building 4 more for some new land. We make them 16 feet tall. How tall is that one??

We dont put railings on them for clearance in bow season.

I would paint it... random spray patterns to break the outline. Only takes about 2 cans.

Good job!!!  You will love it!!!!

the only problem is the snow..If you dont carpet it , it will be very slick. If you carpet it , it will be crunchy and very noisy. I carry a peanut butter jar with ice melter in it to sprinkle on the platform. Dont know what the ice melter is made of but I figure it would be easier to explain to the game warden than carrying a jar of salt. Hope I dont have to test it but the snow is a problem....

Now there is one I bet most CO's haven't heard..."Honest Officer i am using the salt to melt the snow, not attracting deer"...lol . In my permantent built ins I use to use a perice of masonite that I laid down b4 I left the stand. When I got in I would pick it up and slide it behind my seat. All the ice and snow came up with it. I also use to get cheap black paint (discount mis-mixed at lowes and had them remix it for dark brown or black) and throw some kids play sand in the can and paint the platform and ladder rungs. reall good non-slip coating. Used a big bristle wall paper brush to slosh it on.