Sighting in bow

shawnhu

I've got 3 pins on my sight, and pins 1 and 2 are currently set for 10 yards and 20 yards. I've been mostly practicing 20 yards at my indoor range and has been getting good results in the last 2 outings.

I want to set my last pin for 40 yards, but don't want to wait to go to the only range I know of that opens later in the week. Can this be done in the woods with some downed trees? Do I have to worry about breaking my arrows on trees?

x2 on what oneida wrote. 20 30 40. with the speeds on todays set ups. not much difference between 10 and 20 sometimes and it is easier at closer ranges to compensate a little. but could be a lot of difference between 20 and 40 as at the longer ranges your arrow will certainly have lost energy and speed. it is only moving the one pin and unless you will not shoot at a target in the 30 yard range, it could be worth the effort. good luck.

Yes carbon arrows will break if shot into a tree. I would suggest that if you want to use a 3rd pin you look at the distance from the first pin ( 10 yards) to the 2nd pin (20 yards and make the 3rd pin the same distance gap...it should then be close to 30 yards as a pin. But I sure would never recommend just moving or setting up a pin without taking the time to shoot it in. ALso in all the years I have hunted over 55 years, I never have had to use a pin that was shot in over 25 yards....if the deer is past 25 yards, lots of brush or even a twig can cause the arrow to miss that kill shot and just wound the deer. SO I just let them walk.

• Like 1

20, 30, 40 is pretty common yardage. That's what I have on my 3 pin. I think the 3 pin is ideal for most eastern whitetail hunting. Out in the midwest, you can gap a little further or go to a 4 or 5 pin. Bill gave you a good tip to ballpark you to the pin distance - it won't be perfect, as your distance between pins grows with the distance....ie, on my bow, the distance between 20 and 30 pins is smaller than the distance between 30 and 40 pins.

And I agree that the majority of your shots are going to be 20 and in, and with practice, you should only need your 20 pin in those situations. That said, both of my bucks this year were beyond that at 30 and 55 yards. If you are prepared, your chances of being successful are that much higher.

Use a range finder if you have one to mark off the yardage and use a target...not a tree. Even a cheap $20 one from walmart will work.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback. I always carry my license when I enter the woods, but that's a great reminder.

My bow isn't exactly what u would call today's set ups. It's a 4-5 year old bow that I picked up on craigslist. I haven't had a chance to chronograph the bow yet for speed, but a buddy that shoots a similar setup is shooting ~200 fps. I figured with everyone claiming the "most shots closer than 20" statement, i rather have 2 pins in that zone just to increase my chances. On my next range time, I'll have to reconsider that 10 yard pin. This is especially so now that I feel my 20 yard shots are getting better with each time I'm at the range.

Thing about the target is it'll be a one time use thing, and I'd really rather not spend that kinda $ on something I'll use only once. It's not like I have a place to shoot that I can reuse it. I'll just have to take my chances with an old rotted tree or something.

I would recommend a cardboard box stuffed with old clothes/rags, a 12 or 14 inch box will easily stop an arrow going 300fps. I would also go 20/30/40. With my setup, the 10 and 20 are super close while there is an inconsistent drop between 30 and 40. After 40 all the pins are equally spaced out to 70 yards.

• Like 1

Planning to make one for free Tommy, thanks for the input.

If you have the supplies already, its free. But if you have to buy $20 worth of supplies you might as well buy a cheap target at Dick's or Flying Arrow Sports (Carmel).

I got a really small cheap one that I use to de-cock my crossbow when hunting. It was like $15 or $20 from Flying Arrow. Its small and light. I bring it into the edge of the woods with me and shoot it on the way out to de-cock.

do the cardboard one i suggest.It will last forever if you keep it dry.

As far as the 4-5 yr old bow.Thats newer than the 15 yr old bow i use that will kill any thing i release it on.It isn't the bow that makes you good.Its how confident you are with your equipment.I have an old golden eagle evolution i still shoot every now and then.0 lett-off.LOL.My solo cam has like 75% though.

My buddie down south shoot an really old bear with the over draw and no let off.Aluminum arrows and they are like 23 inches.He still shoots the same BH's as when i lived there 10 yrs ago.Just sharpen them up.LOL.