Sit tight or try to stalk?

Dstone001

I saw some does, about 100 yards away. I didn't have a shot. Should I try to move to a place where I could get an angle on that area, or would I inevitably scare anything a way. Am I better just sitting tight and hoping they move in my direction?

Edited by Dstone001

I so wanted to move this a.m. but the frost heave made walking even VERY slowly a noise fest...we have hunters on all sides...the neighbor drove by on buggy and kicked deer to another neighbor who shot.......If the ground is defrosted enough to move quiet and not a lot of pressure around you...go for it

MOVE! Before tuesday I would have said the exact opposite but I went out tuesday morning for a ground hunt. Sst for about 45min and saw 3 does about 70 yrds off. It's just about the only action I've had all bow season so I said screw it and moved up to where they walked through. Literally not even 5 minutes later 2 more does walked the same path not 10 yrds from where I was standing. Would've had a shot but they came in so close so quick that I spooked them drawing back.

Also, My boyfriend was really disliking his hanger this morning because it was leaning forward making it uncomfortable, he decided to get up and move it slightly to a different angle to allow some more lean back. Right after he sat back down he had a buck come out from right next to him and shot him at 20 yrs away.

It's pretty unbelieveable but definitely worth it.

I hope this helps you and GOOD LUCK!! :)

Hard to say now, got to go on whats happening in the woods at the time of the hunt.

I was in the woods yesterday and had a face off with a nice 6. I stood still untill my legs were shaking while this buck was looking right at me. I stalked up to him but he knew I was there and ran off. Had the gears turning I can say that much for sure.

• 3 months later...

I never move if I can see the eye of a deer, you move, you're busted. if there's pressure in the area, get within range of where they went thru after they leave, i have had deer pushed right back along the same trail numerous times, also had does go thru then come back with a buck attached.

MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a couple months ago i stalked within 50 yards of 3 does just in jeans and a carhart coat... and there was almost no cover... they were in the middle of a field... AND i climbed up a 20 ft ladder stand 50 yrds away to get a better look at them... they never saw me and i climbed back down and left without them ever seeing me........ me and the lead doe did have a 5 min staring contest LOL but ive found all you need to do is just look away from them and wait... from what ive seen they will stare at you like CRAZY (if they notice movement) and then put there head down a bit before jerking suddenly back up and staring a while more before slowly lowering there head and going back to eating all this while you have to stand STILL since the tinyest bit of movement will give you away.....

thats my opinion