Browning A5 Light Twelve Help

I’ve got my big mitts on an old Browning Light Twelve that I think is going to clean up really nicely once I get to spend some time with it. However, I’m seeing something that I haven’t seen on my standard 12 or Light 20, in that the barrel has to be unthreaded slightly from the barrel extension (metal extension that runs into the chamber) in order for it to be assembled.

When I first took the barrel off I noticed it the extension was loose, but when I tighten it down by hand, it goes about 1/8 turn past where the slots line up and it won’t reassemble. I have to back it off that 1/8 turn to get everything lined up, and the barrel is by no means tight in the extension. Now, once it’s together, everything is tight and doesn’t rattle. 

I haven’t shot it yet, but will give it a try once I get it cleaned up, as I don’t think it’s anything that will cause a major malfunction for the time being, but I would like to address it if it needs it. Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

Also, I plan doing a before and after post once I tear into it, along with a Winchester Model 12 from 1913 that I acquired, though it’s a lot rougher than the Browning. 

• Like 1