Putnam County small game and coyote regulation questions

I know that Putnam County does not allow rifles for deer. I have a few questions in regards to using rifles for other species-

Would rimfire rifles be legal for small game in Putnam?

Would centerfire rifles be legal for coyote hunting in Putnam (day or night) or would that be limited to what is legal for deer as well?

Would the same regulations apply once deer season is closed?

I emailed the DEC about this as well but thought I'd see if anyone here could clear this up. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

As per the DEC website-

"

Possession of Firearms

During the open season for deer, it is illegal to:

• possess shotgun shells loaded with slug or ball, unless holding a valid license or permit to take deer or bear, or
  • possess a rifle larger than a .22 rimfire (muzzleloading rifles excepted) in areas where rifles are banned for taking deer

So, during deer season, nothing bigger than a .22 rimfire.

Then, under the "furbear hunting" section-

"

• You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season."

So, when its not deer season, you can use whatever you so desire.

Brian

Edited by BrianNY
  • Like 1

It looks like a long time yet before we can crank up the centerfires for coyotes. Also, I have a brand new .270 rifle that hasn't had a round put through it yet because of that regulation. My rifle range is in my backyard which is the woods. By the time I'm able to shoot the darn thing there will be a couple feet of snow to wallow through.

That really wacks hell out of coyote season too. I wouldn't even consider hunting coyotes (or foxes) without using centerfire .... In my case that would be my .223.

I do understand that they don't want people in shotgun areas walking around with centerfires.

However, it does sound like there are no restrictions at all in counties where rifles are allowed...... Even during the late bow/muzzleloader season, because they have purposely incorporated that one stipulation: "in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season". Am I reading that right?

Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like my questions have been answered.

Why no rimfire for coyotes Doc? My .17 rimfire is one of the most accurate guns I've ever shot, and it's more than enough to take down a fox or coyote.

Brian

Brian, have you been taking yotes with a .17hmr around here? How's the performance been?

It looks like a long time yet before we can crank up the centerfires for coyotes. Also, I have a brand new .270 rifle that hasn't had a round put through it yet because of that regulation. My rifle range is in my backyard which is the woods. By the time I'm able to shoot the darn thing there will be a couple feet of snow to wallow through.

That really wacks hell out of coyote season too. I wouldn't even consider hunting coyotes (or foxes) without using centerfire .... In my case that would be my .223.

I do understand that they don't want people in shotgun areas walking around with centerfires.

However, it does sound like there are no restrictions at all in counties where rifles are allowed...... Even during the late bow/muzzleloader season, because they have purposely incorporated that one stipulation: "in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season". Am I reading that right?

Dec 18th at sunset you can start hunting yotes with a centerfire in the SZ non rifle (for deer) areas. Not long at all.