10 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I have never had cow tongue before but I did have deer tongue once. It was not bad at all different texture but good. 

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Don't ever remember eating any meat pickled. Is it good?

As a youngster, I used to love it when my grandmother made pickled cow tongue. It was almost impossible for me to wait the time frame recommended before you eat it.

I guess it's a old timey type thing. And, other than on this site where people pickle heart, I don't know of anyone else who makes or eats pickled meats. They also used to sell lamb tongue in small jars in the supermarkets from time to time, and I loved them. You can't find the lamb tongue anywhere these days, not even online.

My kids used to crack up laughing and get all silly yelling, "gross Dad" , as I teased them with a lamb tongue hanging out of my mouth. lol

• Like 1

On my several hunting trips in Canada especially in Newfoundland I found tongue was very popular, I tried and developed a fondness for pickled lamb's tongue, also tried pickled hog tongue which was pretty good too. The cooks in our hunting camp cooked up Moose tongue several times in different ways and that was great also. Tongue is tasty and very underrated. 

Al

• Like 1

For some reason, I never thought to use the tongue before. I've had sheep tongue back when I was a kid, and I seem to remember that it was pretty good. I have no idea why I haven't tried deer tongue. Thanks for the idea. Next year I'll give it a try. You got any good recipes?

No body has any good recipes for pickled deer tongue?

Are there other ways to prepare deer tongue? It seems to me that when I had cow tongue, years and years ago, it was not pickled. 

• 1 month later...

The recipe that my wife uses came from my grandmother who always used it on beef hearts and tongues.  The absolute best tasting wild game that I ever had was moose tongue picked with that recipe:

IMG_4176.thumb.jpeg.5a5e1081f1b611b25246c806d61c41ba.jpeg

I’ve always liked the tongue better than the heart but deer tongues are too small to mess with.  Moose tongues are bigger than beef tongues though.  

I almost always mix in a beef tongue or two with the deer hearts that my pickles for me every Valentine’s Day. 

On 2/11/2024 at 9:37 AM, Doc said:

No body has any good recipes for pickled deer tongue?

Are there other ways to prepare deer tongue? It seems to me that when I had cow tongue, years and years ago, it was not pickled. 

Anything for heart is good.  Tongue is just a big muscle. You slice off the outer skin, then just drop it in the pot with pickling spice, vinegar and water per the recipe and simmer away. If not pickled, it just tastes like beef.