Multi-State Hunting

zoschag08

I grew up in Cameron County PA and have hunted there my whole life. After I moved to NYC I've began to hunt NJ and NY, both because of friends I met at college. Does anyone else hunt other states? What's your opinion of deer populations, antler size, hunting pressure for your respective hunting lands compared to your home grounds?

I've hunted PA. for the past 31 years. I think I missed one year. It wouldn't be fair to compare where I hunt in NYS to my PA. area as far as available land and access.

The only thing I can say is I don't like the PA. regs on antler restriction and antlerless slaughter. I'd rather see some deer and maybe crack a 4pt every other year than wait 5 years to kill a "big buck".

Keep in mind, YMMV.

You really don't like the antler restrictions? That's one of the best things that the game commission has done. Over the last six years (some before the restrictions) I've taken 5 bucks. The smallest being my first bow kill, a small 8 point last year. Other than that, they have all been mature 7, 8, or 9 points. The year that I didn't get a buck I lost one during archery, and missed twice during rifle. All three of the occurrences were on mature bucks and the last one was a buck pushing 140 class. I've never seen more mature bucks in the woods than I have over the past few years. Yeah, I'll give you that the deer population as a whole has gone down but it has improved the herds health. Better buck to doe ratios and larger bodied deer due to the proper number of deer compared to the available amount of food. Where do you hunt in PA?

I've hunted PA. for the past 31 years. I think I missed one year. It wouldn't be fair to compare where I hunt in NYS to my PA. area as far as available land and access.

The only thing I can say is I don't like the PA. regs on antler restriction and antlerless slaughter. I'd rather see some deer and maybe crack a 4pt every other year than wait 5 years to kill a "big buck".

Keep in mind, YMMV.

I think totally opposite, Ive been hunting PA for 10yrs and I look forward to PA rifle than NY opener. Antler restriction did great for PA. The first 5 yrs in and already broke B&C records. As for the antlerless slaughter we can shoot just as many here in NY. I'd shoot does for meat and wait for that buck of a life time instead of shooting a 1.5 old 4 point.

NYS has many great areas for whitetail, now just think if laws were changed like the 1 buck only states. What would we be seeing then.

• Like 1

You really don't like the antler restrictions? That's one of the best things that the game commission has done. Over the last six years (some before the restrictions) I've taken 5 bucks. The smallest being my first bow kill, a small 8 point last year. Other than that, they have all been mature 7, 8, or 9 points. The year that I didn't get a buck I lost one during archery, and missed twice during rifle. All three of the occurrences were on mature bucks and the last one was a buck pushing 140 class. I've never seen more mature bucks in the woods than I have over the past few years. Yeah, I'll give you that the deer population as a whole has gone down but it has improved the herds health. Better buck to doe ratios and larger bodied deer due to the proper number of deer compared to the available amount of food. Where do you hunt in PA?

Tioga County.

It's great to shoot big deer but I'd rather eat them than look at them on the wall. I've been very fortunate and killed plenty of decent bucks.

How many can you mount or do european mounts on? I'm running out of room fast..........

I think totally opposite, Ive been hunting PA for 10yrs and I look forward to PA rifle than NY opener. Antler restriction did great for PA. The first 5 yrs in and already broke B&C records. As for the antlerless slaughter we can shoot just as many here in NY. I'd shoot does for meat and wait for that buck of a life time instead of shooting a 1.5 old 4 point.

NYS has many great areas for whitetail, now just think if laws were changed like the 1 buck only states. What would we be seeing then.

Do you bow hunt?

I can barely drag myself out to hunt in NY anymore, let alone hunting in another state.....just losing interest in it anymore :(

Now why is that, not enjoying it or just way to much work for little effort? Not trying to bust stones, but my father says same thing. Back in the 90's with party permits he loved chasing deer around, now every hunter gets 2 tags no matter what, and just made the deer scarce in areas he hunts.

Edited by donjohnk

Tioga County.

It's great to shoot big deer but I'd rather eat them than look at them on the wall. I've been very fortunate and killed plenty of decent bucks.

How many can you mount or do european mounts on? I'm running out of room fast..........

That depends on what you would consider a mountable buck. I have one mounted and might mount the one I shot this year. I will only mount a buck that scores 110 or above. As to the shooting small bucks I'd rather not shoot a buck than shoot an immature buck. It's more about the challenge of shooting a mature deer. I'll get my venison from a doe or two (if I get a DMP tag) and then hunt for a nice buck. I may be young but I still know what's worth shooting and what's not.

• Like 1

Now why is that, not enjoying it or just way to much work for little effort? Not trying to bust stones, but my father says same thing. Back in the 90's with party permits he loved chasing deer around, now every hunter gets 2 tags no matter what, and just made the deer scarce in areas he hunts.

just losing interest, lost access to a property a few years ago, never got a reason why, just uninvited( this probably demoralized me more than anything)................ any of the spots I still visit, just arent very interesting anymore, damn near devoid of life it seems........................some of my buddies are busting my chops for not going out, even my dad is to some degree, they just dont understand that at this point, I dont even care if I shoot anything.................. beats me

just losing interest, lost access to a property a few years ago, never got a reason why, just uninvited( this probably demoralized me more than anything)................ any of the spots I still visit, just arent very interesting anymore, damn near devoid of life it seems........................some of my buddies are busting my chops for not going out, even my dad is to some degree, they just dont understand that at this point, I dont even care if I shoot anything.................. beats me

My brother has been a similar funk lately. He wasn't sure if he was going to hunt this year but went out and did his scouting anyway. Turned out he was seeing some decent bucks in the areas he was working and they got his blood flowing. Sometimes a change of scenery is all you need to spark that feeling again. Do you not enjoy just spending the time in the woods or had it become too much about the "success" of the hunt?

Yep, why you ask.

Because if you kill your buck with the bow then of course you are done buck hunting, just like PA.

I like things the way they are. I can kill two bucks, one with bow or ML and then one during the regular season.

I'll choose what I want to kill, maturity wise. When I decide, I'll pull the trigger. Phuck anyone that wants to tell me different, other than a landowner.

Like I said at the start, YMMV.

Too much crap on TV that has people thinking a monster buck is behind every tree. Don't be fooled by all that BS.

being in the woods is fine, just seeing does would even make me happy, thats about all I saw last season in the area I bowhunt, saw does every day I sat............kept things interesting.............. in the last 7-8 times I've sat my one stand( I dont have many options for stands here) I've seen 2 does................ I did a peibald doe yesterday while rifle hunting at about 80 yards( saw her last week at about 420)...... if I can get out on saturday I'm hoping to see her again.

Because if you kill your buck with the bow then of course you are done buck hunting, just like PA.

I like things the way they are. I can kill two bucks, one with bow or ML and then one during the regular season.

I'll choose what I want to kill, maturity wise. When I decide, I'll pull the trigger. Phuck anyone that wants to tell me different, other than a landowner.

Like I said at the start, YMMV.

Too much crap on TV that has people thinking a monster buck is behind every tree. Don't be fooled by all that BS.

lawdwaz.......here in westchester county...............................if you get 4 "doe" tags, you fill those, you can turn them in for 4 more tags...............good for buck OR doe.................shoot 4 more does, go get 4 more tags............................and so on.until you fill one of these tags with a buck, you can keep turning them in for more either sex tag................ and thats JUST for your anterless tags, then you have your reg season, and you bow/ml and ml/bow.......................lots of tags

Edited by waterweasle

That depends on what you would consider a mountable buck. I have one mounted and might mount the one I shot this year. I will only mount a buck that scores 110 or above. As to the shooting small bucks I'd rather not shoot a buck than shoot an immature buck. It's more about the challenge of shooting a mature deer. I'll get my venison from a doe or two (if I get a DMP tag) and then hunt for a nice buck. I may be young but I still know what's worth shooting and what's not.

I know plenty of people that wouldn't even think of shooting a 110" buck. You wouldn't be welcome at their camp.

How could that be, a trophy to you is dogschit to somebody else. Weird, huh?

I'll bet you wouldn't want to be told NOT to shoot a 110" buck, would you?

lawdwaz.......here in westchester county...............................if you get 4 "doe" tags, you fill those, you can turn them in for 4 more tags...............good for buck OR doe.................shoot 4 more does, go get 4 more tags............................and so on.until you fill one of these tags with a buck, you can keep turning them in for more either sex tag................ and thats JUST for your anterless tags, then you have your reg season, and you bow/ml and ml/bow.......................lots of tags

I'm selling my house and moving down.........

• Like 1

? Not following you here ?

If I kill a buck here, Im still able to hunt with a Gun. Not Like PA. Or Ohio.

I know plenty of people that wouldn't even think of shooting a 110" buck. You wouldn't be welcome at their camp.

How could that be, a trophy to you is dogschit to somebody else. Weird, huh?

I'll bet you wouldn't want to be told NOT to shoot a 110" buck, would you?

I'm not saying that it's a trophy in everyone's eyes. However, shooting a young buck is not challenging - no doubt you feel similarly. And as to being told not to shoot a 110" buck that's why I hunt public land. I have the opportunities to hunt in clubs where it's a rule that you can't shoot anything smaller than 120". Have I considered joining - yes and I've seen the bucks that have come out of there recently. There have been some monsters, my friends dad shot a 160" buck this fall. I see nothing wrong with having antler restrictions and if the game commission made it a law that you can't shoot anything smaller than that I'd be fine. Antler restrictions produce a more balanced heard, you don't have everyone going out and shooting the first 1.5 year old buck they see. So by allowing bucks to grow you help the heard by balancing out the doe:buck ratio. The key to all of this though is that there are bucks of said quality available, you can't shoot a 160" if it was killed when it was a 1.5 year old. That's where the antler restrictions are nice, they allow bucks to get past the stage where they don't know how to avoid hunters.

I hunt NY and PA and they both are unique in their own way. I like the antler restrictions in PA because they helped me become a better hunter as far as slowing down, looking exactly what I'm shooting at because prior to antler restrictions I was less likely to pass a good shot on a small deer. After a few years of antler restrictions you are seeing some bigger deer but I still find mcuh larger bucks in NY. The hunting pressure where I hunt in PA is huge. There was always Antler restrictions in PA as far as the horn had to be at least 3 inchs and doe and buck season did run concurrent so you didn't have the brown its down mentality that I see here in NY with some hunters.

• Like 1