Crossbow questions

Jmac491

Im thinking about buying a crossbow if the bill passes. I don't know anything about them except that they are $. Are there any advantages of a compound vs a recurve? What kind of speed is acceptable? I was thinking about an Excalibur Ibex. I would appreciate any advise

Honestly, if you are going to invest in a one-time (or long-term) xbow purchase, I'd really look at the new Excal line...the Matrix 355/380 (or whatever the numbers are).

The only knocks on Excals are the width (prior to the Matrix) adn some sloppy triggers from time to time. The width issue is naught on the Matrix line.

I'm merely asking, but do you bowhunt with vertical bows? If not, what is it that makes you want to use an xbow rather than getting into vert bows?

I do hunt with a compound bow I just thought I might want to try a xbow. I used to shoot a golden eagle Orion with fingers. Bought a new PSE that's 31" axle to axle with 80 % let off and a release aid. I don't see much difference between that and a Xbow. Thanks for the help v

Compound x-bows are narrower in width compared to a recurve, heavier than a recurve, more complicated which means a dealer may have to service it. Recurves are simple only drawback that i see is the width versus a compound. Changing a string on a recurve can be done by anyone whereas string changes for most people on a compound means going back to the dealer for it. I have an xcal phoenix(175lb) and a vortex (200lb). I can say one thing that the string on my 175lb model goes twice as long as the string on my 200lb model. Most people think you need a higher poundage bow to hunt whitetailsbut in reality these higher poundage bows are meant for game larger than a whitetail. The matrix series is very fast but I would assume fast means more string wear too. i think the phoenix/ibex would be the perfect starter xbow if you decide to go with a recurve. If I went with a compound then I would go with 10 point or the less expensive line that they make which is wicked ridge. Remember when NYS allowed xbows in gun season they had a 200lb limit which means the matrix line would not be legal if they decided on the same poundage limit.

I can say that the string(serving) on my 175lb phoenix is good for about 300 shots whereas the string(serving) on my 200lb vortex is good for about 150 shots. The more you shoot the more wear and tear on your string(serving).

Rather than restring it, you could take it to a shop and have them redo the serving, no?

I change the string as my other strings have new servings on them. I get my strings "reserved" by someone as i can not reserve them myself. I think between my 2 xbows I must have 1/2 dozen strings and 2-3 have been reserved. So yes a local shop will reserve them.
  • Like 1