Josephmrtn's 2013 Hunting Journal

josephmrtn

Well I decided to start a hunting journal so here goes...

First off, yesterday 01-15-2013 I went out shed hunting for a while, didnt find any sheds but found a porcupine in a hollow tree and had some fun poking at him with a stick getting him to put his quills up... checked out a possible spot for a food plot and kicked a couple deer outa some brush behind my one ladder stand but didnt see what they were...

Joe- don't forget to take the camera along on your winter hikes. This time of year, there's not a whole heck of a lot of folks in the woods, so you may get to see something out of the ordinary that few others ever get the chance to. The porky encounter sounds pretty cool, as that is something I've never experienced myself here in my neck of the woods. I try not to harrass the critters any more than I have to durring winter months. They've got it hard enough right now and don't need me or anyone else poking and prodding them with sticks to get a rise outta them.

There's a lot to be learned just by observing the creatures doing what they naturaly do with no intervening. It's a great time to slow down and learn a thing or two out there while you're not carrying a weapon of any kind. Just saying, if your not out there hunting for food right now, take advantage of the oppertunity to hunt for knowledge about the woods and critters around you. When you pass that information along to someone else who may not know any better, it's a step in the right direction towards nature preservation and conservation education.

Enjoy your hikes, and good luck with the antlers!

• Like 1

yeah my phone has a cam but i forgot to take pics... it looked like it was hibernating... i thought i must be a coon till i poked at it... our property is posted so there had better not be anyone else out there... i also found some funny looking tracks that i took pics of... will try to post...

ok so i decided to try and do a 2012 deer herd census and it is TONS of work!!!! but here is what i came up with.....

Herd Census 2012

---------------------------

Total Bucks 7

(this is the only number that i feel is prob over 95% accurite, altho there COULD have only been 6 bucks im not SURE,slight possibility there were two spikes that were the same one)

Total Does 30

(this is an estamated number the actual number of does in pics was around 56 but i dont have an accurite way of telling them all apart ((the one doe has a scar on her side so i can tell her apart)) any ideas on better doe classification systems?)

Total Fawn 8

(also an guess... i know for sure there was a doe w triplets and one w twins and also there were several loners)

i spent several hours looking thru trail cam pics to get this data.... i need ideas to make it easier next year!!! i wish there was a way to catch every single deer and put a numbered tag on them!!!!

***Old Farmer's Advice:

+Your fences need to be horse-high, pig-tight and bull-strong.

+Keep skunks and bankers at a distance.

+Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

+A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.

+Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled.

+Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.

+Forgive your enemies; it messes up their heads.

+Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.

+It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.

+You cannot unsay a cruel word.

+Every path has a few puddles. When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.

+The best sermons are lived, not preached.

+Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.

+Don 't judge folks by their relatives.

+Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

+Live a good, honorable life.. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time..

+Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none.

+Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a Rain dance.

+If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

+Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.

+The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.

+Always drink upstream from the herd.

+Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

+Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in..

+If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around..

+Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

*** You Might Be a Redneck -

If You Consider a Six Pack and a Bug Zapper High Quality Entertainment.

If You Have Hound Cages in the Back of Ur Truck.

If You Go to the Bank to Finance a Hound Dog!

If You Have Ever Called in to Work Saying That You Can't Come in Because Your Pot Belly Pig Is Sick.

If Your Fishin Box Is Worth More than Your Truck

If Your Wife Tells You the Price Jewelry in Otter Pelts.

If You Have to Pick Birdshot out of Your Chicken.

If You Think Fast Food Is Hitting a Deer at 65 Mph.

*** One morning, the husband returns the boat to their lakeside cottage after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap.

Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, puts her feet up, And begins to read her book.

The peace and solitude are magnificent.

Along comes a Fish and Game Warden in his boat.

He pulls up alongside the woman and says, 'Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?'

'Reading a book,' she replies, (thinking, 'Isn't that obvious?')

'You're in a Restricted Fishing Area,' he informs her.

'I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading.'

'Yes, but I see you have all the equipment.

For all I know you could start at any moment.

I'll have to take you in and write you up.'

'If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault,' says the woman.

'But I haven't even touched you,' says the Game Warden.

'That's true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.'

'Have a nice day ma'am,' and he left.

MORAL: Never argue with a woman who reads. It's likely she can also think.

• Like 1

*** One night during the local hunting season a police officer was staking out a particularly rowdy country bar for possible DUI violations. At closing time, he saw a hunter tumble out of the bar, trip on the curb, then try his keys in five different cars before he found his. He sat in the front seat fumbling around with his keys for several minutes. All the other hunters left the bar and drove off. Finally he started his engine and began to pull away. The police officer was waiting for him. He stopped the driver, read him his rights and administered the Breathalyzer test. The results showed a reading of 0.00. The puzzle officer demanded to know how that could be. The driver replied, "Tonight I'm the designated decoy."

ok so i decided to try and do a 2012 deer herd census and it is TONS of work!!!! but here is what i came up with.....

Herd Census 2012

---------------------------

Total Bucks 7

(this is the only number that i feel is prob over 95% accurite, altho there COULD have only been 6 bucks im not SURE,slight possibility there were two spikes that were the same one)

Total Does 30

(this is an estamated number the actual number of does in pics was around 56 but i dont have an accurite way of telling them all apart ((the one doe has a scar on her side so i can tell her apart)) any ideas on better doe classification systems?)

Total Fawn 8

(also an guess... i know for sure there was a doe w triplets and one w twins and also there were several loners)

i spent several hours looking thru trail cam pics to get this data.... i need ideas to make it easier next year!!! i wish there was a way to catch every single deer and put a numbered tag on them!!!!

Any Comments?

Went snowmobiling this afternoon..... caught a coyote out in the middle of a field and chased it a ways... TONS of fun!!!

You call that fun? There's a guy that lives near me that tackles them from the sled with ducktape in his mouth and hogties them like its the rodeo. Now that sounds like fun...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Joe- what position do you play? I used to play center all through high school. I made the mistake of going to Michigan State so I only made it as far as the final cut- for the club team. Ryan Miller was the same year as I was and set the career shutout record for MSU- as a freshman!