Wayne County Pistol Permit

The day of the school shooting I called the Sheriff's office to schedule my photo and fingerprinting. They were already backed up, I'm assuming from the election. On 2/15 I finally got in and completed the first step. The officer thinks I should expect a waiting period of 6 months. Figured I'd use this post to help mark my progress for those also in my position.

I plan to have purchased a pistol and have all my reference within 2 weeks at the latest. I'm wondering how the magazine change will affect this. The Act does not yet go into affect so if I purchase a firearm with a 10 round mag today; in 6 months will I still be able to pick it up? I'd hate to have a single shot pistol because the manufacturer does not yet sell a 7 round mag...

Anyhow,

Under reason for permit I'm planning on putting "Unrestricted - for defense of family and self" I have no reason to be denied, but I'd like this to go through smooth. Any thoughts?

I"m pretty sure I read somewhere that if the purchase was made prior to the laws going into effect, that you can still take possession of what was ordered.....if that law is already in effect and you don't have a receipt showing the transaction having taken place prior to the new law, then no, you can't have a 10 round magazine.............I'll see if I can dig up that info.

The gun shop where I bought my pistol said, I can put any I want on law away but have to be picked up by April 15, 2013.

that's what I thought, you have to have shown the transaction took place prior to that date..but, do you already have a pistol permit? the gunshops in my area won't even show you a pistol without a valid permit, let alone let you make a purchase.

pick out your pistol, Pay in full (If you are confident you will get it) and take possession of the mags right then. You own them prior to April 15th so you are good to go wehn your permit comes though and you pick up the pistol...but get the Mags NOW.

that's a good idea. thanks for the advice.