great day to...

Be cutting in the woods...The apple trees were getting hit hard...and no wind so I went out and dropped a bunch of "crap" trees....60ft poplars...branchy maples....diseased maples... scrub ash...

eekkkss I will have a lot of work to do cutting them up and moving the brush to the fences....these were all around the edges of a main plot near a bunch of the apple trees...The poplar I should have cut a couple of years ago but..was a tad leery....tight space and they are a beastly heavy tree that tend to snap...two got hung up but I was able to get that fixed .........one took out several young maples...but it had to go...I love cutting trees...tired though

When I have to directional cut big trees I do notch...but when hinging ..it defeats the purpose of getting some greening early spring...The deer will still hit them....This plot is going into power plant ...so I will be working it later than usual...poplar I don't hing because they tend to kick back far easier than maples or ash...Popular will suddenly snap off where other trees tend to splinter as they go....I have so much more cutting to do but the darn wind has been bad here this year...I suppose I should be Chungking up last years fire wood logs but the snows too deep to move any thing......... I've been holding off till I can cut and get it stacked as I go...besides I need to give my pruning saw a break.....Before you ask...Yes I do this with a pruning saw...and in the summer with my DR beaver blade...Mr.B made me promise not to use my regular chain saw when no ones home....HHHmmm I'd never get anything done. ....I've learned how to cut good size trees with my little pruner

I also usually cut them off high...that first maple not so much...but that's for a shot gun opening 200ft back in the woods(tree stand)

Hey Grow,

You're doing a great job!

It's a good time of the year to go in the woods to do some TSI. My forester says that after cutting the undesirable trees we can sit down and actually watch the crop trees grow.

My forest had been high graded for many years until I bought it 12 years ago. Timber Stand Improvement has made a huge difference for the wildlife.

Edited by catskillkid

Few trees down from high winds over the winter - plenty of work for after spring Turkey of course. Fixing up a few low-mud spots on the main trail to get to them is first on the list.

same here. I have many trees snaged up on another tree. Very unsafe. I have alot of work to do.