Highlights of sportsmen–related testimony during the 2013 NY DEC budget hearing

DEC Commissioner Joe Martens

Discusses FWS audit of budget causing problems with eligibility for federal sport fish and wildlife restoration funds:

CFAB, FWMB, and NYSCC

License fees and Conservation Fund, among other things.

Mark Grisanti, 60th Senate District, Chairman of the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee

License fees, pheasant farm, conservation fund, federal sport fish and wildlife restoration funds

Sean Ryan 48th Senate District

Pheasant farm, fish hatcheries

Sweeney assembly

Federal sport fish and wildlife restoration funds

Daniel Stec 114th District Assembly

Opposes Land Acquisition with EP funds which were increased $19 million this year

Otis, 91st District Assembly

Wants the DEC to emphasis engineering solutions for flood mitigation over eco-based land solutions. In other word; construction instead of restoration of natural systems which buffer storms and floods with associated benefits to recreation and ecology.

NY Audubon Society

Testifies about federal sport fish and wildlife restoration funds and sweeping of conservation fund. Hunters may be surprised that a NY bird watchers organization, has been watching the federal funds paid into by sportsmen via excise taxes on guns, ammo, archery gear, and some hunting and fishing equipment other than guns and ammo and outboard oil.

Nature Conservancy

Explains its role as a land trust, including its purchase of the Finch property to be sold to the DEC over a five year installment.

William Cook, Citizens Campaign for the Environment

Explains he was involved in from the beginning of the EPF and indicates the original intent had only the purpose of land acquisition. This fund now has several accounts for diverse uses, however it puts the strain on the DEC to administer the fund into those diverse uses, such as pumping water in Queens to alleviate basement flooding of residents.

Grisanti - Asks DEC to look at an agriculture special interest “ASAP”

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By CapDistPatriot
      Southern Zone only. I don't understand why they don't include rifle, only Bow & Muzzy...

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/121333.html
    • By Rebel Darling
      Here is DEC's harvest forecast for whitetail during the 2016 hunting season:
      http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerforecastr4.pdf
      Interesting info...  I doubt my WMU, 4L will ever have doe tags, and it's interesting to read that DEC is concerned by possible "misuse" of the 4J doe tags. 
    • By Rebel Darling
      In case anyone is interested, the NYS Senate is considering the nomination of Basil Seggos as Commissioner, DEC:

7:40 p.m.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nysenate
    • By mike rossi
      There has not been any posts about our petition on this site for NINE MONTHS. Since that time this site probably has acquired some new members who would benefit from a dove hunting season. This post is directed at those new people and others unfamiliar with this matter.

In the early 1900’s most states banned wild turkey hunting and around 25 banned mourning dove hunting. Most of these bans were reversed between 1970 and 1995. Today, wild turkey hunting is allowed in 49 states and mourning dove hunting is allowed in 41 states.

NY’s first modern wild turkey hunting season was in the fall of 1959; one year after the Legislature granted the Conservation Department the authority to regulate turkey hunting. The Legislature has not however, authorized the DEC to set a mourning dove hunting season.

Never the less, there is an interest in dove hunting among some NY hunters and mourning dove populations can indeed sustain hunting in NY.

NY Dove Hunting was created because it was apparent an organized entity with a long-term strategical approach was needed. One element of our strategy is our online petition.

I am asking persons who are interested in a dove season to sign the online petition at this link:  http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/petition.html

After you sign the petition we need your help in getting other hunters to sign it as well. 

Many hunters have already signed our petition. The maps below show a steady upward trajectory of support for dove hunting across the state.