Stewart state forret

carbons2k

As a new hunter I'm reading a lot and trying to absorb a lot of information from now until the season opens. I was reading the DEC web page about Stewart state Forrest in region 3 near new paltz and it said something the effect that no one shall possess or discharge a rifle or handgun except a .22 (muzzleloaders are ok) does this mean its a non rifle area and would be limited to muzzleloaders and bow? Maybe I'm confusing the wording.

You're right. Stewart is a no rifle zone. Bring a rifle, and receive a ticket.

You are allowed shotguns, muzzle loaders, bows, and air guns. During the non-deer season, you are not allowed access to interior roads and must park outside. During deer season, you are allowed access to interior roads and parking spots.

There are a lot of rules to Stewart, be sure to know them all or face fines as it is heavily patrolled by Rangers and DEC.

A ML can get you a good 100 yards of accuracy if you so choose to use one there. I find it a bit expensive to be shooting a yote with a .50 cal ML.

Another option would be to use a .25+ cal air gun and try to take one down at 75- yards. I wouldn't waste my time with a shotgun for yotes there.

Ive got a shotgun, I can just use that or go there for Bow season. october '13 will be my 1st hunt and Im looking around for places to go that are close to home (long island) I wouldnt mind hunting bow or shot gun but Im also looking for a rifle area. Looks like I better buy more slugs! lol

Uhhh, you don't want to go to Stewart with a bow, during deer season. It's a zoo, and you most likely wont get a spot unless you wait on line.

In LI, there are tons of places for bow and deer. If you want a place for rifle, get a rim fire and head up to Putnum. You can also head over to Sterling Forest for rifle as well. Small game of course.

• 1 month later...

Stewart is not bad during bow season. I don't bow hunt yet, but I go there for small game like pheasant.

Early gun season is difficult to get a spot. Sometimes it is easier to go in around noon-1:00 when the morning crew heads out for lunch. Big game season is suppose to be hunters and trappers only at Stewart. Last year there was a couple walking the roads for excerise and a couple mountainbikers riding the trails.

Another place to try is Storm King Mountain, they allow rifle, but stay clear of the trails. Had several hikers pass near by including someone with dogs off leash.

I saw someone going into back area of Sterling with yellow labs during gunseason for deer. Saw the dogs running through the trees before I saw their owner. My initial reaction was "damn, wrong part of woods and leaving too early for lunch" because out of the corner of my eye they looked like running deer.

So no matter where you go, watch out for the rule breaking, self endangering clueless people out there.

WestPoint allows deer hunting but you must have a 3p doe permit and take a doe first. Not sure if the allow rifle or not.

Edited by Two Track

West Point allows rifles.  There's only a small section that is shotgun only.  They're only open during regular deer season and you have to be an active military service man/woman to hunt there or an immediate family member accompanying them as a guest.