has anyone noticed if

Too early...I usually find them mid to late April, and on into May. I have made some of my best finds while turkey hunting in May.

My 90 year old mother makes the absolute best leak & potato soup ever. My hunting buddies and I make sure she gets some leeks...and we get some soup.

Here's another recipe for you: Put a quarter cup of cider vinegar in a blender; add 3-4 young leeks (whole, white bulb + green top) and blend well. Then add whatever you usually use for an Italian salad dressing to the leek vinegar mix, and voila...Wild Green Goddess Salad Dressing.

Edited by Early

Too early...I usually find them mid to late April, and on into May. I have made some of my best finds while turkey hunting in May.

My 90 year old mother makes the absolute best leak & potato soup ever. My hunting buddies and I make sure she gets some leeks...and we get some soup.

Here's another recipe for you: Put a quarter cup of cider vinegar in a blender; add 3-4 young leeks (whole, white bulb + green top) and blend well. Then add whatever you usually use for an Italian salad dressing to the leek vinegar mix, and voila...Wild Green Goddess Salad Dressing.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Last year, was picking leeks 20th of March, with the mild temps.. This year going to be more normal, after a warm rain, say by the 15th of April, on the west side of the state.  We'll see if I'm right. I like the first as they are the most tender. Still have some frozen in the freezer from last. Homemade leek soup, with croutons and cheese, OMG. I also look for wild onion.

the leaks have started to come up yet? im stating to get a hankering for chedder leak soup.

an older neighbor said if you know where the leek are, you dig down now and find the tiny bulbs, and they are supposed tro be really hot!!!!

What's the recipe for the cheddar and leak soup? My wife loves cheddar be a good addition to the recipe book

our take on it is simple, build a rue (fry some flour in butter til light brown), add a good amount of milk and cook at med heat until it begins to thicken stirring constantly. add leak greens and a very sharp chedder, stir til melted. if its to thick add milk, too thin cook longer. i dont measure things in (thats how my grandma taught me). after you try it a couple of times you can play with different cheeses, more or less leaks, or add other spices to the butter like paprika, curri powders, pepper powders, what ever tastes you like. hope this helps.

The young tender leeks or "ramps" are delicious! I'm definately gonna try that recipe.

They give tunafish the perfect zing too.

I agree it's a bit early yet. When the daytime temps start hitting into the 50's it'll be time to be on the lookout.

Oh heck yeah!

Salt & pepper or whatever to taste.The leeks give a little crunch, replacing the celery and give that great onion/garlic taste.

I always throw a pinch or 2 of sugar into my tuna.

A little fresh parsley couldn't hurt either to keep your breath somewhat fresh! lol

Edited by PREDATE

Oh heck yeah!

Salt & pepper or whatever to taste.The leeks give a little crunch, replacing the celery and give that great onion/garlic taste.

I always throw a pinch or 2 of sugar into my tuna.

A little fresh parsley couldn't hurt either to keep your breath somewhat fresh! lol

mmmm  ill skip the parsley, i dont like my coworkers to close!