Colorado Apps due April 2

Pygmy

Colorado big game license applications are due by April 2.

Colorado has a very user friendly system of applying online.

Apply at  www.bit.ly/cpwlicensesales .

I don't plan to hunt CO this year, but every year that I don't hunt, I buy preference points for deer and elk. The points are not very expensive and if you accumulate enough of them it can assure that you will be able to draw a tag when you DO decide to go hunting there..

Currently I have 13 deer points and 9 elk points, which is enough to ensure a tag in MOST units...

CO makes you pay for the entire tag upfront unlike other states and then refunds your money if you are not drawn or if you put in for a PP only.  If you didn't buy a big game tag in CO last year then it will cost you $25 plus a $3 application fee.  If you did buy a CO tag in the last year then you would only pay the $3 application fee.  

Basically you have a few hundred dollars hanging out there for a couple of months, but you will get it back.  You can then choose to put your refund towards an OTC tag if you want.  CO has several units with unlimited OTC tags available for elk, but your better units will be draw units which is why you need the PPs.    

Why do you need an outfitter?  There is a ton of public land.  Do some research and have at it.  

Yes, I know there is a ton of public. I was just curious if anyone used an outfitter.

I'm honestly not interested in researching OTC units, then studying topo maps and aerial photos, renting a truck, researching motels/hotels, low success chances of getting an animal, and then if I do I would be packing out a 300lb mule deer by myself, etc.....If I am going to pay for the flight and licenses, I'd rather pay to stay with an outfitter than worry about saving a few bucks and paying myself for a truck, motel, food, etc.

I'd only have 5-6 days to get it done anyway. I can't go out there for 10+ days. Otherwise it might be a different story.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Sorry....All of my Colorado hunts have been DIY...

HOWEVER, although you have dismissed  using booking agents when I suggested it in the past, they are a very good resource...

They make thier money by drumming up  business for outfitters..It costs no more to book through them than to book directly with the outfitter.

If you are interested, PM me.

Yes, I know there is a ton of public. I was just curious if anyone used an outfitter.

I'm honestly not interested in researching OTC units, then studying topo maps and aerial photos, renting a truck, researching motels/hotels, low success chances of getting an animal, and then if I do I would be packing out a 300lb mule deer by myself, etc.....If I am going to pay for the flight and licenses, I'd rather pay to stay with an outfitter than worry about saving a few bucks and paying myself for a truck, motel, food, etc.

I'd only have 5-6 days to get it done anyway. I can't go out there for 10+ days. Otherwise it might be a different story.

The prep and research is the stuff I enjoy the most.  If you want they could probably shoot it for you too and you wouldn't even have to make the trip.    

• Like 1

The prep and research is the stuff I enjoy the most.  If you want they could probably shoot it for you too and you wouldn't even have to make the trip.    

I understand and identify with what you are saying, Boone...I have done DIY trips to several western states including  5 to Alaska...It is an incredibly satisfying experience to pull off a successful DIY hunt and my memories, photos and trophies from these trips are among  my most precious possessions.

However, I can understand  that some folks don't  have the time, desire or inclination to go through all that research and preparation.

Also ,unless you can spend a lot of time out of state scouting, there is a steep learning curve associated with DIY trips..Often by the time you figure out the patterns, the trip is over, and you have to apply  that knowledge for your NEXT hunt.

For some people, guided or oufitted hunts are sometimes a better option, if you can afford them.

If you want they could probably shoot it for you too and you wouldn't even have to make the trip.    

Gimme a break. I don't have the time to make multiple trips to 1 state to scout. When you factor in all the $ you spend, its probably not far off from a guide. Your DIY mule deer is no better than mine. You know the land u hunt, I hunt with a guy who knows the land. Nobody carried my gun or made the 330 n 440 yd shots for me.

I think ur style is great. However, is rather spend 4 separate weeks in 4 different states than always going back to the same place to scout, etc.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It was nothing personal Biz, I just got a chuckle out of your response.  It sounded like you had no interest in the hunt other than pulling the trigger.  To me the research is a big part of the hunt.  I know some people feel the need to hire outfitters due to time constraints.  I have nothing against that.    

Another factor is age/physical condition...

Some of my trips damn near killed me when I was in my 30s and 40s and was in the best physical condition of my life..

Now that I'm in my 60s,  I  wouldn't even consider some of them..

It was high adventure at the time...Now it would scare the crap out of me..LOL...

It was nothing personal Biz, I just got a chuckle out of your response.  It sounded like you had no interest in the hunt other than pulling the trigger.  To me the research is a big part of the hunt.  I know some people feel the need to hire outfitters due to time constraints.  I have nothing against that.    

No problem, thats definitely not the case with me. I always tell the guides in advance of the physical condition I am and that I have no restrictions. Thanks to this, I have been able to take some very nice trophies.  My lion and bobcat hunts I had to hire a guide, as I don't have dogs, etc.  Both of my unsuccessful wolf hunts, I hunted alone. The guide just showed me a spot and I drove his truck to and from each day. There's only 1 hunt I could have done a DIY and that was my trip to Wyoming for Mule Deer/Antelope. However, my Dad (59 y/o) wanted to come with me and see me hunt out west, so he paid a portion of my hunt. I was going to turn that down! lol.

In PA, I do a semi-guided hunt. I get lodging and food for the week for $600 and some tips on where to hunt state-land.

Another factor is age/physical condition...

Some of my trips damn near killed me when I was in my 30s and 40s and was in the best physical condition of my life..

Now that I'm in my 60s,  I  wouldn't even consider some of them..

It was high adventure at the time...Now it would scare the crap out of me..LOL...

I hear you. I wanted to cry after I got my mt. lion in Arizona. 2 trips and 11 total days of falling down bluffs, putting 10+ miles on a day by foot, and worrying about snakes, killer bees, etc....I'm happy I stuck it out and got a Tom, because I have no reason to ever do another lion hunt.  I could have chose the easier the route and hunted lions in snow in Colorado, or Canada, but I wanted something different. I like seeing different parts of the U.S. & Canada.