SAFE Act and what it means to non-residents

If this has already been broached, I apologize for missing the answer. However, when it comes to the Safe Act, what does this mean to non-residents who may have hunted in the past with rifles that now come under the definition of an "assault weapon" and they still want to hunt with them? Yes or No? Also, I shoot highpower so I also like to compete in events around the tri-state area. I ask because I get conflicting reports or "opinions."

I called the SAFE Act hotline months ago, asked the very question, and was told not to come into NY with them. I spoke with a member of the NY Highpower forum who said the same thing. The Act applies to residents only. Someone yesterday on another forum who is from out of state told me that he spoke to the NYSP on the same hotline and was told he could bring them in to hunt or shoot wth as long as he registered them. (Register? Who would think of such folly?)

What's the real skinny? Do I go by what I've been told verbally or should I believe folks on internet forums. :prankster:

"Where'd ya' hear that? On the internet?"

I would call local police in the area that you hunt or shoot at, because i have several friends that are deputies and they aren't going to enforce this crap. But the state police on the other hand ? Thats a whole different ball game. You should call NYSP and ask for yourself.

All are laws apply to everyone  ! well except if you are a politician !

The ECON laws I get. The SAFE Act is built with too many caveats. (I'm a guy who hates change!) Even if I entertained the thought to comply, registration brings with it a "you may be denied" clause. The research I've done so far has netted me more "nay's" than "yea's."

"A: If you submitted your form electronically, you will immediately receive an acknowledgement and tracking number (this is NOT confirmation that your registration has been approved). You will then be notified subsequently by e-mail and/or U.S. mail whether your registration was successful. If you mailed in your form to the State Police, you will receive notification either through the e-mail address you provided, or, if no e-mail was provided, by mail.

In either case, please allow at least three business days for notification."

The website at least gets updated from the first announcement: http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform

Other statements make me scratch my head:

"The SAFE Act protects law- abiding citizens right to bear arms and does not restrict New Yorkers' ability to buy, sell, keep or use their guns." (How about the guy from out-of-state?)

"Please note: This website is informational only and does not constitute legal advice." (Oh, so it's meant for a 6th-grader to understand?)

If this has already been broached, I apologize for missing the answer. However, when it comes to the Safe Act, what does this mean to non-residents who may have hunted in the past with rifles that now come under the definition of an "assault weapon" and they still want to hunt with them? Yes or No? Also, I shoot highpower so I also like to compete in events around the tri-state area. I ask because I get conflicting reports or "opinions."

I called the SAFE Act hotline months ago, asked the very question, and was told not to come into NY with them. I spoke with a member of the NY Highpower forum who said the same thing. The Act applies to residents only. Someone yesterday on another forum who is from out of state told me that he spoke to the NYSP on the same hotline and was told he could bring them in to hunt or shoot wth as long as he registered them. (Register? Who would think of such folly?)

What's the real skinny? Do I go by what I've been told verbally or should I believe folks on internet forums. :prankster:

"Where'd ya' hear that? On the internet?"

I would write to the NY Attorney general for your answer and I would include with your questions a suggestion that lawmakers address these issues when crafting the new laws. I would also send either separate letters or CCs to members of the assembly & senate, and maybe even Coumo's office with the same message.  

• 5 weeks later...