S.C. turkey

had a chance to get a three day turkey permit last week while i was down visiting family near Aiken, SC. called in one gobbler first day, called in a mix of gobblers and jakes second day, and the third day was 40 mph winds and sideways rain. only got wet the third day, there was at least two long beards and 3-4 jakes that stayed in the scrub oaks and none presented a shot that i would take. the gobbler on the first day came right on in and was taken at 20 yards. the bird weighed 21 lbs, had three beards (9", 7 1/4", 4 1/4"), and 7/8" spurs.

post-2266-0-48725500-1365479621_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-07244900-1365479577_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-90262500-1365479837_thumb.jp

Nice bird!

What did the permit run you? I might keep that in mind for when I go visit my Mom in Darlington County. I just hate the thought of poisonus reptiles! It seems like the leaves on the ground are so thick because they don't really get snow to pack them down. That's perfect habitat for serpents!!!!

Nice bird!

What did the permit run you? I might keep that in mind for when I go visit my Mom in Darlington County. I just hate the thought of poisonus reptiles! It seems like the leaves on the ground are so thick because they don't really get snow to pack them down. That's perfect habitat for serpents!!!!

You will need a big game license (which is good for 1 year from date of purchase),$100, and a turkey permit (I got the 3 day), $40, and turkey transportation tags which are free. you can take 2 per day with a 5 bird limit. good luck.

• 3 weeks later...