Wet...Wet....Wet

two questions...planted power plant..rains hit...pretty hard and for 24hrs...the seed was covered well...now much is plump but sitting on the top of soil...think it will grow well?

The farmer next door was here until 12:30 am working this field night before last...last year was a first time corn planting in fallow soil...they plowed in the fall then came up and disced two days ago...had problems with the rocks/boulders...then came back with 2 tractors discing again with the first followed by what looked like a small planter with a liquid tank above it and a cultipactor behind it....Now last year he no till drilled the corn...I've never seen any farmer  around here cultipac (sp?) in corn. For all the work they did the darn field is green all ready...with Chinese garlic...what would you guess they planted...curiosity before it grows...it would have to be some thing weed spray can go on. I can not figure out with all the work done on this field ...how It could possible have this much green ..in the matter of hours???

Edited by growalot

I have been around farming my whole life . The reason I would cultipac a field is to break the clump of soil, there are weed seeds in these clumps, so when Herbicide is applied it is more effective, later without cultipacing the clumps breakup and you have weeds growing.  As far as what is growing in amatter of hours I can't tell you.

I would have thought that to...but when they disced the day before this last round of work , they had ...No idea for term...what looked like a giant mechanical hand powered grass cutter on the back... breaking every thing up....the weeds are mainly Chinese garlic plants...geez you just can't kill the stuff..but holy cow..they worked these fields for 2 days with three tractors!!

Don't they usually plant corn in a fallow field a few years to break the weed  problem? and if not..... for a dairy farm what do you think would be the next planting option?

Oh the birds haven't bothered bean seeds in the power plant too much...but there isn't many sun flowers they didn't find and eat :fie: ..Raining again

Corn after corn, yields drop off. They usually cultipack alfalfa-grass seed after it's applied. They may have been applying a insectacide for weavel, although they usually apply that with an biplane here.

I've had alfalfa green in less than 2 days, especially after a good rainfall.

We're well over the 5 inch mark for rainfall, since last Thursday here.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

G2 ...you were correct...the rain managed to do to his acreage as it did my plot....percolate it to the surface...besides the mobs of crow that are thankfully over here and not on my plot :) So he has oats in...what would usually follow that?...The last farm crop the original farmer put here were oats...they developed a fungus and he left the field to stand....then planted a hay field...he only harvested half of...horse farmer

Thanks...It was also to what they'd plant later this year...Isn't it usually a dbl crop thing?...I know that the oats I see them cut in the summer usually has red clover growing in the stubble...hope hope hope......

I'm hoping that with the problems we had with our well after they had planted the corn and did the original work ...that they are trying to avoid laying down the liquid manure....Ohhh please...please..please...especially with the rains we've had and the rains coming Monday -weds this week.

That would be great!...though I'll need to change my plans for my woodland trail plot......I'll have to go with a bracc planting ...perhaps take out two damaged trees for more light ...

Drove by some of  his other fields yesterday..a few miles away...corn in all of them...he has a field he's been working for years near the south corner of our place...has always rotated 3years of corn to 4 years of alfalfa there....this field I believe is just too wet and has too much clay for that...he had to install drainage piping in it last fall