New Field / Foot Plot plans

Figured I'd move my conversation w/NYBowhunter over here to talk about the field I'm going to attempt to do this year...

The field will be two 1 acre (or just under) rectangular plots.  They are going to be separated by about 40 yards of trees each.

NYBowHunter:

Its at the top of our hill, where it levels off.  There is a spring about 50 yards away. 

So the Turnip / Brassica grows in august i'm guessing... When would you plant clover?

Typically would plant your clover in April/May. Allow a month prior if you need to add lime, so the lime has a chance to get absorbed into the ground before you seed. Let me know when your ready for either this coming august or next April and we can discuss over the phone in detail,  as there are details that I would need to explain and my typing is not the best and I'll be here all day typing.

Sounds great, thanks.  I'm hoping to get the thing limed in early august.  So maybe I'll  have a little time to plant something for the fall.

You have until the 1st-2nd week of august to plant your Brassicas/turnips, preferably seeded by the 1st week. Thats assuming you have a good seedbed to start with, how do you plan on preparing your seedbed? You dont want brassica or clover seeds more then a 1/4 inch under the soil and I dont bury them at all, I top cast them and let the rain do the rest. That is why its important to have a well prepared seed bed, too many crevices or if they get buried too deep and you will loose the seed (they wont be able to push out of the ground), burry the fertilizer and lime too deep and they wont be utilized to the best of the plants ability. Lets talk before you get started. Let me know when your ready.I know you want to do this for this year, but you really dont want to waste all your hard work and money by rushing the process. But i do think if you have the right equipment you have plenty of time to get this done before August, the other question is you will need the time to get this all done, that is if your planting this year. Let me know.

NYBow - I'm more then likely getting ahead of myself.  I'd love to get something down this year, but will that happen? No idea.  We have a lot of things going on @ the property that will take precedence.    More then likely it will be next year, but like I said I'd love to get something going this year.   

Now lets say I can't get it done by August?  what are the alternatives that you know of if it was September say?

Clover and other legumes are traditionally planted in september or the spring when soil moisture is good. I'm actually switching to mostly annual plantings because there is no sense trying to feed the deer in the summer when there is so much ag around me (soybeans, alfalfa). I'm going to plant oats and brassincas in August to give the deer something after the alfalfa dies and the corn is in the bin.

Clover and other legumes are traditionally planted in september or the spring when soil moisture is good. I'm actually switching to mostly annual plantings because there is no sense trying to feed the deer in the summer when there is so much ag around me (soybeans, alfalfa). I'm going to plant oats and brassincas in August to give the deer something after the alfalfa dies and the corn is in the bin.

Not always the case, I have had deer dig through a foot of snow to get at the clover underneath.My clover field looked like a bomb went off, there were huge holes in the snow everywhere. If at all possible its a good idea to have a clover plot and a late fall (brassica ) plot.My intentions are to create a healthier deer herd and I'm not overly concerned at my surrounding areas. I'm surrounded by farms and Ag, I dont let that dictate what I grow. Lately there has been standing corn well into the gun season in nearby farms and if I let what I gow get dictated by whats around me then I would have no need to grow anything.

My point is that while corn, soybeans, and alfalfa are available in the hundreds of acres there is no need to plant a plot just to provide forage to deer. Out-competing the attractiveness of crops is another story- so I would plant something the deer can't get anywhere else- or provide it in a setting that is more accessible or secure for the deer.

New clearings almost done, stumps being pulled right now.  They are roughly 150 feet by 250 feet, and separated by about 30 yards each.  I wanted to make it narrower, however due to semi limited flat land, we had to go this route.  At about 225 feet out it starts creeping up.    Its smack in the middle of our property, with a spring off to the side of one of the fields (about 75 yards into the woods).    I'm pretty excited, but I'll try not to rush things.  Prob just concentrate on 1 field for this year.   

Even if we do not get to plant anything on the 1 field, I bet some new growth will come up over the next few weeks?

NYBow - Whats the best way to turn this field over?  I forgot if I asked before but I saw this groundhog max thing, that attaches to the back of the ATV.  I do not have a tractor (yet), so my ATV is really the only option other then renting something.  And if I do rent something, its a pretty steep hill I'd have to go up to get to the plots, so that might limit me as well.

Video of that groundhog thing:

NEW GH MAX by Tufline 2010

Also should I lime before turning or after?  My brother is up there now, and took some soil samples. So I will have those tested shortly.

Hey John, I have seen that video a while back. Seems impressive, but I dont have any experience with that product, but seems thats about one of a few options at this point.  You would want to turn your ground, disk it then get the seedbed as flat as possible, then add your lime and fertilizer and then you can harrow the fertilizer and lime into the ground.The key is to get the lime and fertilizer to go down into your seedbed only a couple inches so they can be properly utilized by your plants. You can make your own  harrow and save yourself alot of money by getting a hold of an old piece (approx.4'wide X 8' long) chain link fence that is weighted down with some heavy lumber. I have some old huge heavy floor joists screwed into a chain link fence that I can drag behind my quad or tractor.If you want shoot me a PM with your number and I can explain. Are there any farmers nearby that you can pay to prep the plot for you, lots of people take that route.I helped one other guy by answering questions, however the major work like turning the ground, disking, adding lime was done by a farmer.