same bullet?

ants

Yup, Biz is correct...As far as I know, all currently manufactured .22 centerfires use .224" bullets.. That would be .222, .222 mag, .223/5.56 MM, 22/250, .220 swift, .224 Weatherby and others..

Years ago, 22 Hornets were bored a little smaller, I believe it was .223" if my moldy old memory is correct, and you could buy .223" bullets specifically for the Hornet.. However I believe that modern day hornets are bored .224".. I'm not sure if a thousandth of an inch would make much difference, anyway.

Edited by Pygmy

Thanx. I picked up a used 22-250 and a friend told me that one way to tell if the bore was shot out was to set a cartridge , bullet first, into the muzzle and check for fit. The 22-250 round seemed loose but the 223 round was snug. I think the 22-250 round must be seated deeper.

No offense to your friend, but that test does not hold water for several different technical reasons...

Reason number one is that generally when a barrel is "shot out" it means that it is suffering from throat erosion, which occurs near the chamber, rather than at the muzzle. Seating depth and differing bullet ogives are a couple more reasons that it would be invalid.

The best test to see if your rifle has accuracy problems is to shoot some groups with it.

Many supposedly "shot out" barrels only need a thorough cleaning to restore thier accuracy.

• Like 2

Tried posting pics but no go. Some times it works and sometimes it won't send.... Im going to have my daughter try later. 

But yeah..it shot real tight. Most holes were touching. Im happy. Now if the rifle was a lefty...I'd be REAL happy..LOL!