1st Timer...

I'm pretty new to hunting and would like to plant some winter oats or some type of winter/ late fall plot. I have a four-wheeler and no farming equipment, so I'd like to hear what you pros would advise. I looked into the throw-n-grow mix and liked the concept if I raked it first then spread.

it would be used in the cortland area in the woods, two spots which are slightly cleared. I would rake the area and then spread the seed in about a 20 yard by 20 yard plot for both spots.

What ya think!?

Greetings neighbor; check the 'ingredients list' on those throw and grow bags - if you see high % of ryegrasses this usually translates to yeah it looks good growing but that doesn't mean it's the forage deer are looking for that time of season. I sometimes hunt in the 7M & 7R areas, I would like to suggest antler king fall/winter/spring mix - it's winter rye & peas annual mix. It is mildly shade & ph tolerant. If you plant over labor day weekend at the latest it'll give those plots a chance. Then, grow back in the spring and go to seed head, maybe just in time for spring Turkey. Then, you can wack it down, and go in with a perennial such as a good clover/chicory mix. If you can get back there with a 4x i'd also suggest borrowing/renting a good rear tine tiller after spring.

Good hunting.

(btw you can order that mix from gander and have it shipped to store - takes about 10 days or so.)

Edited by Fantail

Consider buying a groundhog maxx. I'm seeing many people getting more done with that thing that I would expect. It's not a fix-all, but that and a scrap chain link fence can make an atv pretty useful. Better than working by hand all day long.