Mock scrapes

WhitetailAddict11

I know I know, it's been covered 1000x but I'm going to make it 1001x. Going to give this a try this year because there seems to be good reason behind it, even though it's one more thing to add to the mix as if I don't do enough already. I figured it would be a good idea to potentially find bucks I haven't gotten on camera yet, or just be a spot that a satellite buck will gravitate too. I was thinking about scent control and came up with the idea of putting urine in a spray bottle so I can hit my scrape from a few feet away and not have to step all over it; good idea possibly? Most experienced guys I know say it's not necessarily a spot to kill a buck but it is a spot that bucks will check out and spend time visiting throughout the season, even though it's mostly nocturnal activity.

Edited by WhitetailAddict11

There's so much "theory" and "opinion" on this that I don't think there's much hard and fast information to live by. It's a "what works for you." scenario.

I don't start scrapes early on, but will start them if I see a lot of scrape activity. i prefer to use dirt from scrapes at other properties. I will also pee in active scrapes if the urge hits. I have way too much "proof" for me that it not only isn't detrimental, but that it appears by pics to have hits.

I know some people start them early on...some buy kits, some cut overhanging licking branches, clear dirt with a stick and then attach them to a branch witha  zip tie.

Now, I know of a few people who write a bit that preach the basics of just creating mock scrapes siply by making sure the overhead licking branch sticks out like a sore thumb...no dirt clearing, etc. Just that facilitation of a branch can get a scrape started.

I'll be honest in saying the last few years, I haven't done much with mocks, other than peeing in them if I happen by in-season or a last second scouting mission. If you need an inventory, use an existing primary/community scrape...and just throw down dirt from another scrape.

I have a friend that always paces off 20 yards in multiple directions from a stand and then clears a little patch so he can see his "yardage marker" from the stand..  I can't tell you how many deer he has taken where they stop and put their nose into the little clearing he made.

Makes you wonder if there is some visual aspect to scrapes as well or is it just curiosity?  who knows, but it works for him..

I have a friend that always paces off 20 yards in multiple directions from a stand and then clears a little patch so he can see his "yardage marker" from the stand..  I can't tell you how many deer he has taken where they stop and put their nose into the little clearing he made.

Makes you wonder if there is some visual aspect to scrapes as well or is it just curiosity?  who knows, but it works for him..

I believe this is true without a doubt.

scent is NOT necessary for a mock scrape (AT ALL!). Location and then a suitable licking branch and loose soils....find a hard edge and make a 3' diameter circle below a shoulder high branch. 

BTW- deer check some of them all year long, others are strictly breeding related- think of them as Facebook for whitetails

scrapes are great fr cam inventory but hunting them is a totally different story

I got a pic of this guy last fall in a scrape 50 yards off the road. The time is not correct on the picture. He was actually standing in this scrape with about 10 minutes of shooting time left. I found the scrape the day before, pissed in it and hung my trail camera just for shits and giggles. Imagine my surprise when I checked it a few days later! Peeing in a scrape works, I have proof.

post-3283-0-92043100-1377142405_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...