Gutless method of gutting a deer

Deerthug

I could be wrong but I believe leaving a gut pile is OK, but all other waste must be disposed of in a trash bag in the regular trash pick up, or a person can bury it on his/her own land.  Leaving bones, spine, skull etc on open ground even yours is a $1,000 fine.

On my N Quebec Bear hunt this year, they brought the entire bear back, we skinned it and cut the meat off without gutting.  Gutting a bear is illegal there due to the black market for the gallbladder. 

I find it funny that some people are considering trying this.  My question is why would anyone use this method here in NYS where most deer are taken within a mile of access to a road, ATV or something?  Makes absolutely NO sense to me.  If you were several miles inside a wilderness area, then go for it, but for most everyone else this is pretty silly.  Many guys can see a road, their house, camp, from their deer stands and then would opt for this method??  Completely pointless in my opinion.

I've boned out a lot more deer than I've dragged out but it has always depended on distance from a road. Even then, I bone most out when I get home. The last one I shot I was able to drive directly to it and load it without even gutting it, thereby not messing up the spot too much. I still boned her out when I got home because the temps were in the 70s.

That's just it.  I think the vast majority of hunters on this forum and in NYS in general hunt not too far from a road.  Heck, we even have arguments here about the 500' rule for shooting distance from a dwelling, so obviously many are practically hunting in backyards.  I see absolutely NO need for this method to these hunters.  Drag the thing to your vehicle or ATV, bring it to a shed, barn, garage and skin it there.  Real simple and you will have more tools, water, etc. at your disposal to get the job done right.

I could understand leaving the guts in if you didn't want to leave them in a spot you will be hunting again very soon, but I would think removing them first would surely make the job a heck of a lot easier.  Just try this method if you had a gaping hole with damage to the stomach or intestines??  You'd have the slime oozing out everywhere while you were trying to skin it.  Even a lung or heart shot would be a bloody mess. 

I find it funny that some people are considering trying this.  My question is why would anyone use this method here in NYS where most deer are taken within a mile of access to a road, ATV or something?  Makes absolutely NO sense to me.  If you were several miles inside a wilderness area, then go for it, but for most everyone else this is pretty silly.  Many guys can see a road, their house, camp, from their deer stands and then would opt for this method??  Completely pointless in my opinion.

I agree to an extent. But it would be handy though if you were hunting alone and you shot a 300lb brute and can't drag it yourself back to your camp.

I could understand leaving the guts in if you didn't want to leave them in a spot you will be hunting again very soon, but I would think removing them first would surely make the job a heck of a lot easier.  Just try this method if you had a gaping hole with damage to the stomach or intestines??  You'd have the slime oozing out everywhere while you were trying to skin it.  Even a lung or heart shot would be a bloody mess. 

Actually, if done properly it is a lot less messy than if you did gut it. Dang it, now I'm going to have to do a video.

I agree to an extent. But it would be handy though if you were hunting alone and you shot a 300lb brute and can't drag it yourself back to your camp.

I wouldn't argue with that, but I don't think many of us hunt too far off from road access.  If we did somehow bring something down at a far off spot, I think most anyone who has skinned a deer before could figure out what to do to skin and quarter it in the field.  I don't think I need to see a video to know what to do.