Who has chickens?

Paula

I have questions I can't find on line. Had chicken like 7yrs now. I have heard of hens turning dominant after a rooster is gone. Shoe will crow and I believe stop laying. This is now happening with one of mine. I did not have a rooster though. This is a jersey hen or New Hampshire they are pretty big and kinda looks like a roaster with no spurs. And I know I have gotten eggs from her. She just started crowing a few months ago. Is she gonna stop laying eggs? If I get a rooster will she stop crowing? Should she become my din din? . . . . . Help

I've rarely had a rooster in with my layers....only when I wanted a bird for a cape for tying flies (mostly barred rocks or road island reds).

Occasionaly I've had a super dominant hen who would screw up laying for the rest and I chopped their head off. There will always be a pecking order, where the saying comes from, but I've had 2 birds that took that to the extreme and beat up my other birds.

At 7 years don't expect much for table fare....some broth maybe. LOL

I used dead birds for coon bait.

I meant i have had chicken for 7 yrs but these i have are from the age of 5 months to like a yr and half.. I don't keep mine more than 2.5 - 3 yrs. I use for broth or feed back to them  or bait if they are at 3 yr mark.  I just bought scratch today and feed them for 2 wks on it and i have 2 young roosters and her that will be soup. I gave them laying pellets so i want that out of the system be i kill them